Impreza Project - Research

Alonslow

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I've been on here a little while, from when I previously had my 2012 STi hatch. Sadly I sold that on a few months back. However I am looking to buy a project car that I can leave on my drive and just tinker with over the weeks, months and years. I remember the STi being a lot of fun, but a bit of a pig when it come to modding, as everything required remapping. Is this true for all of the earlier models of impreza as well? Basically I'd like to try and buy myself something I am more 'free' to modify. To remove any building fears from people, I am a qualified mechanic so the car won't be destroyed through my curiosity ha ha.

Thanks in advance for any replies, suggestions and advice

5 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

not much you can do engine/power wise without mapping im afraid.

Thanks, I had wondered if this would be the case. To slightly alter my question, is there models that you would suggest avoiding for the same reason? I was under the impression the older models were slightly better re modifications?

I know some people suggest Jap engine over UK also, but I'll look to change all the internals etc, so I don't consider the reliability issues a factor. Obviously accell/top end differ between the two (to my understanding) so interested to hear around this, but generally question is geared around model ranges then import/export.

nope, theres myths out there about the ecu learning, but thats very minor.

If your going down the route of rebuild base model of the engine doesnt really matter unless your going big power like 600 then you want to look at a closed deck. personaly i;d go 2.5 and get it converted to closed deck, good for 500 and loads of low down grunt.

1 minute ago, Tidgy said:

nope, theres myths out there about the ecu learning, but thats very minor.

If your going down the route of rebuild base model of the engine doesnt really matter unless your going big power like 600 then you want to look at a closed deck. personaly i;d go 2.5 and get it converted to closed deck, good for 500 and loads of low down grunt.

Brilliant, many thanks. 

Yeah, i've heard around the 'learning' but just ignored it as made little sense to me. I'm not from the digital side of cars, but i've never heard of that before. Regardless, getting a remap isn't the end of the world, at least I'm fairly open to any car.

So I guess the last question, which typically creates a divide from my experience of reading others... WRX or STi? I've always had the assumption that STi comes with the superior build and performance, but is this naive of me? In reality, I'll take whatever I come across if the price is right, but should the option be available it's good to know what to keep an eye out for

if you go new age then sti will have 6 speed, so will save 2-3k in buying one.

2001 sti's engines are mega strong even in factory form, last of the proper forged engines. really depends what model you want