JDM WRX STI gearbox

gaunty_92

Hi guys, my friends dads selling a 1998 Impreza WRX STI and i'm extremely interested, however i'm not 100% on the gearbox. It seems to have a fair bit of play when in neutral and doesnt seem to like to go into 1st?? Just wondering if anyone knows if this is normal or a sign to steer clear?

The cars standard except an apexi decat exhaust, turbo timer, coilovers and gauges.

Thanks in advance

Josh

Hi Josh welcome to the forums 

It might just need an oil change of the gearbox if it's not been serviced for awhile hole car might need a good service. But what happens over time the gears box oil gets bit's of crap and metal in there could be that or the worse case synchromesh. Then it's cheaper to get a 2nd hand refurbished gearbox fitted. Unless you are good with car's. :) But I would take the risk myself 1st is a strange gear to go before one of the others.

I would try some of this with the oil change

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-DIFF-AND-GEAR-TREATMENT-NEW-125ML-GEARBOX-/251342602851?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a852fc263

Could risk a 2nd hand gearbox be cheaper but again run the risk of it being as bad or worse. But I think a refub box is just over £1K so not cheap then fitting. might be able to get it cheaper but would need to shop about. But I would still try the oil and treatment :D