Flashing cruise control and engine managment light issue

SimonSezSo

So, recently bought 2004 Lagacy Outback 2.5 petrol. Cruise switched itself off and static engine management light and flashing cruise light started happening.

Doesn't reset on stop and start. Any ideas?

It seems this is a very well known issue according to Google quick search.

I'm new to the group and searching for similar artciles doesn't seem to work well in this forum (I might be not aware fo the best way to do the searches of course!)

You will need to get the fault codes read. All dealers, some independent garages will be able to read the codes, as could you with Freessm program, laptop and suitable connecting cable. There is also a way to read the codes directly off the car by connecting connectors but I'm not sure of the process. Then, armed with the code well be better able to determine the problem.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, SimonSezSo said:

So, recently bought 2004 Lagacy Outback 2.5 petrol. Cruise switched itself off and static engine management light and flashing cruise light started happening.

Doesn't reset on stop and start. Any ideas?

It seems this is a very well known issue according to Google quick search.

I'm new to the group and searching for similar artciles doesn't seem to work well in this forum (I might be not aware fo the best way to do the searches of course!)

I had a similar problem with my outback.  Cruise light on engine management light flashing and s drive stuck in “s”. The solution I found was 1) loosen filler cap - big rush of air into the tank. 2) reset trip computer and hey presto the lights go off. 
think it might be related to fuel starvation with vacuum in the tank. 
hope you find a solution 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So the issue ended up being a new leak in the exhaust... one fo the seals was replaced mid way down the lgnth of the car, oit was reret and all was well. System had recongised a change in the fuelling system and that caused the warning.

It happened again a couple of weeks ago too. I cleared it by having a need to put my foot down. It seems doing a ton may be another way to reset it!