Headgasket worth repairing?

My 2005 WRXs headgasket has failed, I've been quoted prices around £1500 to repair which would include the belts, water pump etc being done at the same time.

I wouldn't be able to buy another impreza in good condition for £1500 so is repairing it my best option?

I've heard people say you should replace the crankshaft if the Headgasket goes but that is basically an engine rebuild which is well out of my price range

You will get different opinions on crankshaft. Some will say always do crank and others will say depends on inspection. Some well say just forge it but that all depends on budget and skills. Some here think nothing of rebuilding there engine but they also have a normal car and the place and tools. How bad and how long was the headgasket blow? Did the coolant get into the oil if so defo do crankshaft. If the crank lets go after HG then your just burning money. I guess your in the hands of the engine builder's recommendations. Hope it works out for you.

That sounds way way way too cheap.

The 2.5 is more susceptable to crank bearing damage, so its not the crank itself, just the bearings that get damaged. So the 2.5 is realy the one to do the crank bearings when the HG goes.

But given the age of the car i would be amazed if the bearingsa arn't showing signs of ware, meaning you could get it done and it fails soon after if you don't

2 hours ago, Siluro said:

Yes I did mean the bearings not the crank itself as you quite rightly say.

I do know a couple of occasions where the damage was so bad it did take out the crank as well 😞

You never really know till the engine is stripped

34 minutes ago, Tidgy said:

I do know a couple of occasions where the damage was so bad it did take out the crank as well 😞

You never really know till the engine is stripped

Sure I guess the bearing material welded to the actual crank, ouch.

Your last statement answers the OP question depends on the damage. Plus as you mentioned the mileage makes sense to do the lot.

@andy3665 So if you love the car that much and your planning on keeping it for a long time then do the crank bearings as well as the HG and while your there anything else, oil pump, etc. Only you can make that decision based on the advise of your builder and your circumstances.