Best standard tyre for the non-turbo ?

MikeDB

I've had a standard 2.0 GX since new which is fitted with Michelin Energy 195/60 R15s but have moved to a rural location and would like something with a little more front-end grip in the wet and on muddy roads.  True performance tyres don't come in this size and I don't want to buy a new set of wheels so does anyone have any recommendations for better tyres that fit this model.

Winter/commercial.  Something with a bit more bite than the standard tyre in day to day use and certainly grippy at the first corner or brake for a tractor coming the other way scenario.

Anyway it's too cold round here (Peak District) to get warm even if I drive hard :-)

I run michelin agilis 51's on my van and they are awesome in the winter and slippery conditions powering through the snow no problem at all

in the size you want michelin do the alpin A4 which is what I would go for

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/alpin-a4/195/60/R15/T/88/m?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f%26width%3d195%26profile%3d60%26rim%3d15%26speed%3dAny%26wintertyre%3d1%26minpricerange%3d0%26maxpricerange%3d0%26displayall%3d6&tyre=27211618

or for a little more save you alloys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-Subaru-Impreza-2-0i-GX-01-01-09-07-steel-wheels-and-winter-tyres-set-4-/150903717185

• 2 weeks later...

After talking to their UK office I went with the Vredestein Quadrac Lite since I don't do much motorway driving and the lower rolling resistance of the Sportrac isn't so much of an issue.   That said I had to go on a length of fast dual carriageway to get them and I will say they are a little 'vague-er' than the standard Michelins when cruising at high speed, though I think a tweak to the tracking would fix that.

However on corners there is a definite 'bite hard' on turning sharply in the dry and I'm having to not turn the wheel quite so much.  I'll let you know wet performance once it rains will should be soon.

• Like 2