changing a Forester battery - any pitfalls

Just suffered a completely flat Battery. Car is only 4.5 years old so I didn't expect it.

No problem to buy and install a new Battery but niggling my mind is whether it's as easy as it sounds.

In particular, when the new Battery is in, is there any process needed to reboot the ECM electronics or will it all just start up by itself.

Ditto to the alarm system and anything else I might not have thought of.

Sorry to post such a basic question but last time I had to change a car Battery ECM's hadn't been invented (yes that long ago)

It not a big deal but if you want save any potential hassle use a 9v pp3 Battery (could also use a 12v power tool battery)  and make up some leads from some cable with croc  clips o ends and attach that on alternator output lead and clean earth point and you got yourself a memory power backup tool while quick change the Battery.

I do this for quick Battery changes in the yard, saves any hassles and don't even need reset the clock time .

I've just changed mine, I didnt know what to expect either but as Mr B says its no big deal - after installation everything was back up and running apart from clock and radio settings - no alarms went off etc. (08 SH model) 🙂 

Nice tip Mr B by the way 🙂 

If your clock time reset then too late .

No big deal rest clock and radio settings, we try avoid that scenario as much as possible as customers happier less little hassles we can avoid .

Battery maybe recoverable to some level but for time and effort and age it be far better time and money on a new one .

I would check charging system and parasitic draw unless you got known reason for Battery current state .

All sorted - turned out the Battery was on its last legs, and the last straw was that I had left an interior light on.

Kudos to AA assistance who turned up 10 minutes early and has now set off on a 50 mile round trip to get a new Battery (being Subaru they're apparently not very common so none of my local tyre&battery shops have one).

..and to answer my original question, the electrics powered up normally when he connected a charger, including sounding the alarm.

• 1 year later...

I have had starting problems as Battery drained from lack of use. Battery is 4.5yrs old so want to change it but no Panasonic ones available, main dealer still not come back to me after 5 days. What alternatives can I use? Cannot find one of similar physical size. 260x175x200 mm. CCA 640A 70AH D26(JIS). 

A quick search and your model comes up with a 068 sizing - 266mm x 175mm x 220mm. Will this fit in your space as there are plenty of options for this sizing cranking amps from 68AH to 75AH

19 hours ago, EricF said:

I have had starting problems as battery drained from lack of use. Battery is 4.5yrs old so want to change it but no Panasonic ones available, main dealer still not come back to me after 5 days. What alternatives can I use? Cannot find one of similar physical size. 260x175x200 mm. CCA 640A 70AH D26(JIS). 

My replacement Battery is a Bosch - seems to be just fine.