Insurance company ?

Qwertytrapp

I’m looking at buying a turbo 2000 as my first car. I am 17 and have just passed my test. Unfortunately when calling different companies they all say they won’t insure me or they give me some stupid number that is 5x the price of the car. Any one got any suggestions for people who would insure me for a reasonable amount? Or any other suggestions?

Cant see how you will get what you want - cheap insurance on a turbo car with only just passed your test. Have seen my lad jump through hoops, black boxes etc for a mitsubishi colt 1.3. still 1k plus insurance

Not sure you would even get classic car insurance.

Only thing I would suggest is get one for a track car or if you really want a subaru look at a 1.5 engine but whilst you have the AWD it will not be as nice to drive as a smaller car with lighter weight that you can afford to insure 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Cant see how you will get what you want - cheap insurance on a turbo car with only just passed your test. Have seen my lad jump through hoops, black boxes etc for a mitsubishi colt 1.3. still 1k plus insurance

Not sure you would even get classic car insurance.

Only thing I would suggest is get one for a track car or if you really want a subaru look at a 1.5 engine but whilst you have the AWD it will not be as nice to drive as a smaller car with lighter weight that you can afford to insure 

Hey thanks for the knowledge I appreciate it. My main idea is to keep it as a track car but it still be street legal. I think the plan is to build up my no claims bonus for a couple years then get insured on it. 

Think the only option here is to be brutally honest.

Do you know why 17 year olds don't drive round in turbo impreza's, cos they can't insure them, insurance companies are getting tighter and tighter, your 17, no years no claims bonus, no experience (on the road), and you want them to insure you incase you crash into anything, gotta think of it from their point of view, would you insure you?
It's gonna be expensive. Took me along time to get my insurance under £1k and I wasn't even buying "silly" cars!!
Sorry to be blunt

Loud pipes save lives

• 4 months later...

This is just one of those things we have to deal with when young, insuring fast cars, especially those with a reputation, is seriously exensive when you are young.

We all know of youngters driving their brand new fast cars at age 18, they hail from wealthy homes and indulging parents who not only buy the car but insure fuel and service it too, for most of us our start in the world of motoring isn't like that.

As above, to be honest here, even at 20 with 2 years experience you are going to pay through the nose for insurance on anything fast and desirable/nickable, many years ago probably late 80's i spotted a lovely Sierra Sapphire Cosworth for sale cheap, the reason it was cheap is because no one could insure them at the time, i was probably 30 years old then with 13 years driving and a clean record, the insurance quote i recall as being £5000 way over the price of the car itself, then hence why cars like that were stupidly cheap.

There will come a time when insurance gets cheaper for you, but trust me you will considerably older than you are now.

A life tip for you, try your best to avoid making any claims on insurance ever (even windscreens) and try to avoid getting nicked by the old bill for anything at all, this has been my policy for donkeys years and when you can fill those online forms in with no claims at all on record no other incidents and no points or convictions, i have a mental cut off point of between £1000 and £2000, below that i will not claim but fix any damage myself, and do not ever get involved with so called accident management sharks if you do have to make a claim even if you are not at fault, the cost of the claim will be many times more than it could have been and you will be punished in the long run with higher premiums for years, the quotes you attract by using your noddle make it all worth it...oh and you can still enjoy fast cars when you are much older but still young at heart, so build your no claims and driving record up on something else for a while.

• Like 1