Help Needed - Lower Control Arms for Forester

Hi All, first post here, and I am in need of help.
Just been driving home and heard a loud banging a few times from the front left suspension. When I got home (5 minute journey) I had a look at the lower control arm has split along a weld. Going to need a new arm, and trying to find some. Been quoted over £300 from a Subaru dealer nearby, I don't want to spend that much if I can help it. So here are the questions:

Are "Japan parts" worth getting? As found a complete arm with bushed for just under £100?

Or does anyone know if these would fit?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-2005-Front-Alloy-Lower-Control-Arm-Set/293328899567?hash=item444bc3cdef:g:tTUAAOSwpJRdzCdQ

Impreza 2005 alloy links. A think I found a thread here where something similar fit on, but confirmation would be nice. As I really need to swap both sides, the right is showing signs of corrosion I would rather replace both to be on the safe side. So this would be a little cheaper and an upgrade whilst I am at it, if they are compatable.

Forester-Control-Arm.jpg

I am pretty happy doing the mechanical work to swap it over myself, already started taking it apart to get the arm off. Just want to find a decent parts supply. Any tips for removal and re-assembly also useful.

@SubaruBlack and @Mr B ??? Asking for you 2 as I found a previous thread with similar issue so hope one of you might take a look and let me know if they would fit? Thanks

Thanks everyone.

The pattern arms are not great quality, if hunt around you can find them around £50 (Sidem ABS MS JapanParts brands)

I recommend OEM used alloy arms as in your link and fit any bushes ball joints drop links as needed make the job good .

Brands like febi bilstien adl-blueprint, delphi moog 555 meyle-HD good for bushes etc

Be sure used alloy arms complete with taper cone inserts for balljoint .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-Classic-Bugeye-Blobeye-WRX-STi-Front-Alloy-Wishbones-Control-Arms/193308582642

low quality/poor brand suspension parts let you down in handling tyre wear and life span .

• Like 1

Super, thank you.

I have bought the ones in my link, but didn't know about the taper cone inserts, so that was very useful to learn about. I have ordered some of those as well as the needed bushed and joints.

Thanks again for your help.

did yours come with the bolts for the rear bush mounts  ?

We see lot of the cheap suspension parts causing mot remarks or fail within 2yrs. Even some known name parts these days far from great .

Good luck fitting, is fairly easy, pinch bolt in knuckle for removing ball joint can be difficult if heavily rusted, spray everything up in advance with penetrating oil as will help .
If for any reason you need remove hub knuckle from car remember the upper strut to hub knuckle is a camber setting bolt so mark/reference bolt head position so refitting keeps camber setting close to pre disassembly .

I am not sure if they come with bolts. Do you know what thread they are?

Ok, I am surprised by that. Would have thought that can make them to last a little longer than 2 years. Hopefully these alloy ones will last a lot better. 

Thanks. I have already got the pinch bolt off on the broken side. It was tight to get going and I was worried it was about to shear, but came out fine. I was having more difficulty with the drop links bolt. I didn't actually use penetrating oil, but should get some for the rest of dis-assembly. Should have it all off by the end of Sunday. Then a case of waiting for all the parts to arrive and bolt it all back together. And I will do the other side very soon too. 

I shouldn't need to take apart the knuckle to damper but thanks for the tip, I shall remember that if I ever do have that apart. 

Thanks again for your help

Well looks like I should have gone for your link @Mr B.

Seems the eBay seller I bought the lower links from is dodgy (angliatuningcentre), they were suposedly sent on Friday or Saturday delivery. Still got nothing and they have not supplied a tracking number although I asked for one this morning. A few reviews say that items never arrived and no contact from them.

So bought another set off someone else that definatley include bolts for the rear bush. Not sure if they have the cones for the ball joint, but I have a pair sat here waiting so that isn't a problem. I just want to get my car back on the road and this is irritating me greatly. Still, another few days wait it seems.

Finally got a pair of alloy arms. Didn't come with the cone inserts so thanks for noting them Mr B.

It was the second set I ordered so they did have the bushed already bolted on, but the seller had done a very nice job of cleaning them up. Installation was fairly easy this evening and been for a test drive. All is feeling good. This weekend I plan to swap the non broken side over to the alloy arm. Then I want to get the car properly alligned and tracked.

Thanks for the help. Certainly some things I would have missed or got wrong.

IMG-20200213-181557.jpg

• Like 1

Good job .

give it bit of time and you should be able get refunded via eBay/PayPal if wait out the lengthy procedure .
You second purchase looks better buy ...
Going alloy arms is best way forward, quality parts which will last longer and better safety aspect over lower spec pattern parts .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr B said:

Good job .

give it bit of time and you should be able get refunded via eBay/PayPal if wait out the lengthy procedure .
You second purchase looks better buy ...
Going alloy arms is best way forward, quality parts which will last longer and better safety aspect over lower spec pattern parts .

Thanks.

I think it is the 22nd that I have to wait till before eBay will take action, but at least the process is started.

And yeah, I think the second purchase was a better one anyway. Shame that my car has been off the road for as long as it has, but I have not needed to drive anywhere important so it has all worked out fine. Hopefully these alloy arms will last well, I would imagine they will last the lift of the car unless there is an accident? I just hope to stop the same issue happening again. If as things need replacing I go for upgrades the car should last me well and keep getting better, I am hoping to keep it going for a while, as I love the Forester as a car and it ticks all the boxes for me.

On Saturday I changed over the right side arm. Whilst it looked fine on the way out, it was actually a bit scary once I saw it properly. Definatley the right choice to change both arms over. Good job I caught it when I did/that the left broke the way it did.

IMG-20200215-094646.jpg

IMG-20200215-114041.jpg

IMG-20200215-114048.jpg

IMG-20200215-115804.jpg

Today I heard a bit of a knocking noise on my way into uni (Yes, I am at university). Much quieter than before but I had been planning to check everything anyway. So had a look on both sides. Everything seemed fine and I double check the torques of all the bolts. All good.
Only change I made was the ball joint pinch bolt. I could find a torque of between 38 and 50Nm. When I did it up I left it at 40Nm. But I remembered the ball joints had slipped into there quite easily and so I checked they had not come looser, and then did both pinch bolts up to 50Nm. On a test drive everything seems super and no longer hearing anything. So in a few weeks after a lot more driving I will check once more (I know I am probably being over cautious, but this is the first big job I have done on my own car and I want to make sure it is fine).

But so far all seems good.

• Like 1

Good job 👍

Those arms still be in service when you up for retirement ...
saved lot of money doing it yourself and using oem used alloy arms .
Subarus are actually pretty easy work on so don't be afraid attempt more repairs, just research well and be prepared with good information, parts and tools  ...

here's a service manual that will aid you a bit ...
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Forester/2003/
http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Forester/2004/

• Like 1

Thanks.

Ok, that is good to know. I am guessing they are probably a bit stronger than the steel arms too?

I like saving money, In total was somewhere under £200 for parts. And many hours spent switching bits over and checking them, but I enjoy that so don't mind it. I am planning to do nearly all of the work this car needs myself. Cheaper, good fun and interesting. I have a good collection of decent tools, and happy to buy more as I need. I do plan on making a general build thread for this car sometime very soon, as I plan on keeping it around for a while and inevitably upgrading things sometime.

Those links will prove very helpful, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Typically I now realise I should have changed bushes at the same time, and will need to before my MOT in April. So now I have to decide whether I put new bushes in the second set of arms I ended up with (but that are a lot messier and need cleaning up) or use the messier arms temporarily whilst I put new bushes into the arms I currently have on the car. Either way the second set of arms means I won't need to disable my car for a long period of time, so right not works in my favour that I ended up with them.

Just got to order some bushes up and decide how I am doing things

On 2/6/2020 at 12:48 AM, Mr B said:

The pattern arms are not great quality, if hunt around you can find them around £50 (Sidem ABS MS JapanParts brands)

I recommend OEM used alloy arms as in your link and fit any bushes ball joints drop links as needed make the job good .

Brands like febi bilstien adl-blueprint, delphi moog 555 meyle-HD good for bushes etc

Be sure used alloy arms complete with taper cone inserts for balljoint .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Impreza-Classic-Bugeye-Blobeye-WRX-STi-Front-Alloy-Wishbones-Control-Arms/193308582642

low quality/poor brand suspension parts let you down in handling tyre wear and life span .

I am struggling to find bushes by any of the above manufaturers that should fit on my car. Please can someone share a link if they have one?

I need both bushes for the front lower control arms. I think part numbers are:

20204SA000 for the front bush

20201FA120 (Right) and 20201FA130 (Left) for the rear bush in housing.

But please correct me if I am wrong, or there are others that will fit.
Thanks