Nuts n studs

Sarah Chivers

Hi all I have a couple of little  problems with my studs ! I have locking nuts on but no key! I do know that they are not Subaru as I have been to see them and they got a key in but it did not fit over the shoulder of the nut. So they are aftermarket. This is not the main problem though as we do know we can get them off . The problem is I bought 1/2 20 nuts for it but they will not go on as the thread is not the same? So do Imprezers come with different studs or are these aftermarket as well and what thread could they be? The nut will go on 3 turns and then it stops! Can anyone help or can anyone supply me with original studs please

TIA Sarah

IMG_0626.JPG

standard subaru thread pitch is 1.25 (M12 x 1.25) . I assume from way you describe nuts going on 2 or 3 turns your purchased wheel nut are likely 1.5 thread pitch

Be very much easier buying correct thread pitch nuts over replacing studs unless studs damaged or length is an issue  .

Be very careful as nuts need correct taper for wheels and also need be high quality, studs also need be high quality and correct interference fit to hub bores, Lot of nuts and studs found on eBay and similar are complete junk, off spec and potentially dangerous .

pull the wheel off and get a thread pitch gauge on them to confirm and also see if the thread has been damaged

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=7064&cat=0&sub=0&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=wheel&searchPart=

£2.50 per stud

But what have they sent you .

You can tell the difference between 1.5 and 1.25 pitch by eye and comparing a new supplied nut and one off car, the one with closest together threads being 1.25
Any numbers stamped on any of the nuts .

I used a company I found on the web a couple of years ago. You send them a photo of you locking nut and dimensions and they make you a key to fit. Sorry can't remember their name but you should be able to find with a search.