Emergency key mechanism -- Is it broken?

spoovy

2018 XV.

The keyless entry fob is working fine, but I thought I'd try the emergency key anyway, just to make sure it works before it's actually needed.  Well, it seems like it doesn't.

What happens is, starting with the car locked, I remove the emergency key from the fob, then leave the fob in the steel tin I keep them in overnight (along with the spare).  I then go out and try to unlock the car with the key.  But I find I can turn it to the right (clockwise) for 45 degrees ish, and I hear a mechanism engage, but the door remains locked.  Turning to the left/anticlockwise is not possible.

I tried with the spare fob key as well -- same result.

What's going on here? Is it broken or am I doing it wrong?  Ta. 

Not sure, but as we've had our cars for nearly three years I thought I'd try the keys tonight (so thank you for the idea!)

No problem turning the key anti-clockwise (unlock) on my Levorg, although opening the driver's door set off the alarm (cue sprint back to the house for fob to silence.) I then tried the Mrs' XV, opening the OSR passenger door, and that was fine too (fob on front door mat so not as far to run to cancel alarm!)

I didn't try turning either door key clockwise (getting late, kids in bed, didn't want to cause the local keyboard warriors to light-up Facebook about alarms going off, etc), but I would guess that would just lock the doors again, much like hitting the lock button on the fob when you can't remember if you touched the lock sensors on the handle (happens daily here!)

Perhaps try some gentle jiggling of the key in case it is a bit tight, but a call / visit to the dealer may be in order whilst still under full warranty.