2.0 Litre N/A Petrol Engines OK with E10 Petrol?

Peroni

Just been reading that all UK petrol stations will switch to E10 petrol (10% ethanol) soon. Current maximum of bio-ethanol allowed is 5% (E5).

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/104126/e10-petrol-be-uk-standard-wont-work-1m-older-cars

Will my 2010 Forester 2.0 litre petrol run OK on this stuff? And will the plastic & rubber parts in fuel system be OK?  All cars made since 2011must be able to run on E5 but I don't know if pre-2011 Foresters will be happy with E5 ethanol.

I'm no fan of the ethanol juice, it seems to create lots of problems with my lawnmowers and chainsaws. Could be a double whammy; forced to buy "Super" unleaded and car further de-valued if its not in the E5 club. 

Any one know?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They run on e10 okay, not a lot more of an issue than e5, plenty Subarus of same manufacture spec in other countries on e10 for years ..
Lot of reason murky doubt exists as creates a lot of scrap and new car sales .

I'd just buy 99 octane premium as while may seem more expensive you get better mpg from it and long term less issues so cost balances out .
e10 more of an issue on 2 stroke machinery and for an easy life premium well worth using .
The whole environmental gain of ethanol another doubtful area if really look into it in source to manufacture and add in vehicle service/repair  waste materials and actual equipment lifetime from using it .

• Like 2

Thanks Mr.B.  That sounds reassuring to some extent.

Not all petrol stations near me sell premium petrol but I'll try to find a decent outlet, even if just for my chainsaws and mowers.  Agree that the bio fuels may not be a world saver; incentivising ( often poor) farmers to grow fuel for cars rather than crops for food might be unwise.

Thanks for the heads-up on this Wulbert and Mr B; I'd not heard of this until now. The AutoExpress link above has another link to a document with manufacturer statements on which cars are compatible with E10 fuel...

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_E10_compatibility.pdf

Cut-and-paste from said document (below) reaffirms the compatibility of most Subarus...

Subaru

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines manufactured from 1st January 1991.

• Like 1