Stock Alloy Wheel Question

Duffsaw

HI All,

I have a 2012 SH Forester Diesel, and it still has the stock wheels it came with, sample pic attached. As the finish is degrading fairly badly at this point, I am thinking of getting some new rims. Before I took out the tape measure to check, I researched the standard wheel size, and it was supposed to be 7Jx17 ET48 offset.

When I took out the tape measure, cause it didn't seem right, the width of the stock wheel is 8 inches?! So I have 225 55 17R tyres at present.

So as I am looking around now, I am wondering what is best to get. Does anyone know if I reduce to 16 inch rims, will the rotors and calipers still have room?

Just toying with several options. Was maybe thinking of adding ore rubber, with the smaller rim, but then i do a lot of commuting also, 100km a day round trip, and only some off road..

Any thoughts...? Or anyone any experience in this area?

download.jpg

You should be fine with a 16inch wheel

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/subaru/forester/2012/#trim-20d-eudm-145

215/65R16 96H   6.5Jx16 ET48   5x100   2.1 / 2.0

225/55R17 95H   7Jx17 ET48   5x100   2.2 / 2.1

225/50R18 96H   7Jx18 ET48   5x100   2.3 / 2.1

225/50R18 96V   7.5Jx18 ET48   5x100   2.3 / 2.1

• Thanks 1

I have the older SG9 version, which is shod with 215/55/17 normally, my full winter set are the alternative specified, ie 215/60 x 16, so slightly smaller tyres all round than your model, no trouble at all with clearance though i appreciate its a different model.

The point i'm making is that as well as quieter running the ride is vastly improved on the 16" even though there's only 5% aspect ratio difference on my sizes, so with your potential difference of 10%  aspect the ride should be so much better after the change if you go for the 16's.

As a bonus quickly looking up Goodyear Vector All Seasons as an example of decent spec tyre, there's something like a £30/40 saving if you go for the 16's.

Only one question i can think of, the 16" wheels arn't specified as winter only with reduced tyre speed spec?

• Thanks 1

The diameter and width should be cast into the wheel on the back of one of the spokes.

(I only know because the measuring bit is missing off our wheel balancer at work and all Japanese and Korean wheels seem to have it cast into the back of the wheel! LOL!)

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gents, appreciate those answers. I didn't realise the ride might be better on 16's. another plus. I have the size mentioned, and have been running Michelin Cross Climate+ for the past couple of years. A fantastic tyre I must say. But wouldn't mind doing a winter set with the new rims I plant to buy, and then get my own wheels refurbed for summer...

Thanks Again Lads!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I eventually took the plunge and bought black wheels. Happy with the result. So much so I plant get the front grill and door handles powder coated black, so sync things up...or maybe I am loosing the run of myself...;-)

20210110_145041.jpg

• Like 2

amazing what visual difference a set of rims can make .
anything below a 55 profile on UK rough B roads is not great in comfort or actual traction .
Size you got now not just looks better but is better to the roads and driving you do, the weatherproof is pretty good tyre, recommend and fit them quite a bit on foresters and outbacks .