outback 2.0l diesel engine

Garibaldi

Hello, I’m Andrea, new in the Subaru world. 

Last September I bought a 2009 Subaru outback 2.0l diesel and the car had problems with the turbo and clutch which have been replaced. 

Then on January the 4th a sudden unintended acceleration wrecked the engine. 

Has this happened to anybody else? I’m wondering if it will happen again.

I’m thinking about replacing it for a new engine.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice about that? Maybe replacing it with a newer different engine model might be a good idea if that’s possible. 

Also, it would be nice to have some feed back about this car model and year and any general tips 

Thanks! 

Andrea 

Crank failure very common and 2009 even more so .

Was it a down shift wrong gear change that finished it off .

Engine replacement will be expensive and same underlying weakness to crank will be present .

You would need an early 2011 engine for slight revisions in crank & block or buy new crank which about £450 if your engine likely rebuildable .

Diesel Subarus are all heading to early scrap as simply expensive repair and design fault still present plus diesels of this era suffer from lot of CEL warnings and less than amazing mpg figures all down to stupid principles of emission regulations and control equipment that actually causing more emissions and waste if view the whole picture .

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 12:35 PM, Mr B said:

Crank failure very common and 2009 even more so .

Was it a down shift wrong gear change that finished it off .

Engine replacement will be expensive and same underlying weakness to crank will be present .

You would need an early 2011 engine for slight revisions in crank & block or buy new crank which about £450 if your engine likely rebuildable .

Diesel Subarus are all heading to early scrap as simply expensive repair and design fault still present plus diesels of this era suffer from lot of CEL warnings and less than amazing mpg figures all down to stupid principles of emission regulations and control equipment that actually causing more emissions and waste if view the whole picture .

Hallo there, the car engine is now unusable some valve could be bent has been check by my mechanic. Has I’ve been thinking if could be avoided by the signs the car was giving before.

Few days before I’ve notice that the car wasn’t accelerating as normal and fill like clog up, the day that the engine went in the motorway at 60 mph try to overtake pushing the accelerator in 5th gear was not normal like she won’t go. Also, to be said that the engine start was taking few thorns of the key to start.

Has I’ve understood from the mechanic the car was depositing oil in the air inlet I think and while in acceleration the car looks like not accelerating and then in a flash she goes full acceleration, has the mechanic explain to me the oil from the air inlet went back to the cylinder and a full born up as happen.

I’ve been suggested to get an early 2011 engine the new crank on it.

Why not 2015/16.

I’m looking for any suggestion, thanks.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, Mr B said:

Because 2011 engine can use all your common rail injection and systems thus your current original ECU
Later than that would require ECU changes which would be massive work and cost .

Hallo there, is very hard to get a 2011 engine. I've found a good 2009 in good condition low mileage do I have to change the crank on it? If so where would I get one? 

ICP do the crank (should get 10% or better discount), new crank isn't a cure all solution but could be worth it if engine price sensible.
Engine MUST be 2009 onwards ...
2007-2009 engine not worth much as they ones that fail the most and the latest crankshaft 12200AA480 will not fit them.
Wouldn't trust used mileage they quote unless got definitive proof .
We don't do many diesel engine swaps as unfortunately cost is too much for most owners as used engine prices are silly money & still a time bomb ...
Only really viable repair if get lucky with cheap engine or can fit it yourself.
Most of these diesels subarus are going for scrap while some of best models from late 90's to early millennium still working perfectly 20 to 30 years on !
Modern cars from all manufacturers are complete garbage and MASSIVE environmental impact as they don't last and consume huge amount of materials and parts due to short component life and service requirement keep ridiculous emission workarounds functional, absolute madness !!!!
about time the public woke up to the fact they being lied to and conned ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr B said:

ICP do the crank (should get 10% or better discount), new crank isn't a cure all solution but could be worth it if engine price sensible.
Engine MUST be 2009 onwards ...
2007-2009 engine not worth much as they ones that fail the most and the latest crankshaft 12200AA480 will not fit them.
Wouldn't trust used mileage they quote unless got definitive proof .
We don't do many diesel engine swaps as unfortunately cost is too much for most owners as used engine prices are silly money & still a time bomb ...
Only really viable repair if get lucky with cheap engine or can fit it yourself.
Most of these diesels subarus are going for scrap while some of best models from late 90's to early millennium still working perfectly 20 to 30 years on !
Modern cars from all manufacturers are complete garbage and MASSIVE environmental impact as they don't last and consume huge amount of materials and parts due to short component life and service requirement keep ridiculous emission workarounds functional, absolute madness !!!!
about time the public woke up to the fact they being lied to and conned ...

Amen !!!