Intermittent non starting

bear101

I have a 2005 outback 3.0 and over the last 3 days it has occasionally not started when turning the key. When it happens the remote opens the doors and I attempt to start the car within the 30 seconds before the immobilizer cuts back in . The red LED stays on  to indicate the immobilizer is off but I get nothing . Not even a click . I have checked the Battery and all fine as when it does start it does so straight away . 

Could it be the ignition switch is on its way out ? 

It has been suggested that the switch that tells the ECU the car is in park could be faulty,but I thought if that happens you can't take the key out of the ignition ,which I can . 

Any advise is welcome . 

Thanks 

Hard be accurate on basic symptoms given but a good hunch would be sigma alarm module immobiliser relays, relays are soldered in but can be swapped out, If is this the alarm module can also be easily swapped out for a good used one (supplied with a working fob or code so can be programmed)

Hi. The LED on the steering column stays solid red when the car is unlocked with the fob . According to the alarm manual this indicates that the immobilizer is turned off for the 30 second period . Do you think it could still be the alarm module ? 

Yes.
When relays sticking it will do that .
Alarm module relays fairly common problem and I done loads of them over the years .
You really want do some testing such as looking at live data see security status of transponder key, park position  and ignition .
another quick test for alarm is with ignition turned off arm and disarm alarm and see if starts & repeat several times if doesn't, can also try tapping alarm module or open it up and tap relays then check starts .
Alarm module super simple repair or replace and good used can be had fairly cheap and is totally diy possible and only an hour to a garage that knows what they doing .

19 minutes ago, Mr B said:

Yes.
When relays sticking it will do that .
Alarm module relays fairly common problem and I done loads of them over the years .
You really want do some testing such as looking at live data see security status of transponder key, park position  and ignition .
another quick test for alarm is with ignition turned off arm and disarm alarm and see if starts & repeat several times if doesn't, can also try tapping alarm module or open it up and tap relays then check starts .
Alarm module super simple repair or replace and good used can be had fairly cheap and is totally diy possible and only an hour to a garage that knows what they doing .

Hi. Thanks for the info . Where will I find the alarm module located ?