New UK Turbo 2K, hopefully inner wing not too bad..

Nimpy

So this is my ride, 1999 UK car. Seems straight, HPI Cleared straight panels etc, paint is OK a few scratches and stone chips which you would expect on an old car. My 1st Subaru, previously VAG cars were my bag, but fancied a change😀

Had the rear seats/boot lining out and been underneath, and she seems to be pretty rust free, apart from this on the offside, had a good go with a screwdriver and no give at all. Should I be worried? Or will that be OK for a couple more years. Heard some real horror stories.

Cheers Keith 

20210512_152206.jpg

20210512_152629.jpg

Very nice. I had a '99 wagon with PPP and the Prodrive suspension. Nice and light and very rapid.

It would be worth removing the sill covers and clean it all up, it's a sludge trap and rust area in there. Rear strut towers are another risk area, it would be good to drop the struts and treat/paint up there. Mechanically they're tough as old boots, it's rust that kills them.

Thanks,  I'll do that,  so far apart from that little plague on the inner in the boot it's looking good. What's involved in dropping the strut out on one of these?

Cheers 

Got the sill covers off, in great shape thankfully! Cleaned the crap off and sprayed with some wd40 and they came up nicely.  So the only rot I have found so far is that small plague in the boot. Happy so far...

20210513_094335.jpg

20210513_094330.jpg

20210513_085558.jpg

• Like 1

There are some good vids on youtube. This one will scare you, it's a GD, but pretty much the same as a GC.

Thank god I didn't see anything like that when I took the seats etc out. I would have been devastated. 

Looks like a shocking job, one for a sunny weekend!

OK so got a camera in between the boot and the outer wing, and on the nearside there is some of the dreaded rust. Hard to get to, and hard to get a scale of the issue but it hasn't gone through to othe outer of the wheel arch yet, so I reckon the car can be sorted, seems a shame not to save a classic!

What you guys reckon?

20210516_135454.jpg

14 hours ago, Nimpy said:

OK so got a camera in between the boot and the outer wing, and on the nearside there is some of the dreaded rust. Hard to get to, and hard to get a scale of the issue but it hasn't gone through to othe outer of the wheel arch yet, so I reckon the car can be sorted, seems a shame not to save a classic!

What you guys reckon?

20210516_135454.jpg

i would not say that was bad. it depends on how hard it is to remove it, i seen worst than that to be fair. i hope it don't cost much to sort out. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers Damien, hoping for a decent quote, as you say hopefully not a crazy figure...

Upside is that it is still solid, thumping it from the outside, and the inside as best I could and didn't break through,  so could look worse than it is, though with my luck I doubt it 😒

• 2 weeks later...

Had it down at TDR in Warwick today for an inspection and a change of all the fluids. Some little issues, like a broken bleed nipple on a caliper, and some corrosion on the arms and subframe, but nothing major,  so all in all a happy man!

Gotta say the guys at TDR are a great bunch, chatty, happy and helpful, very happy with the service 😀

20210527_093944.jpg

20210527_085031.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Spoke to a body shop today, they are going to look at the rust. Just waiting on them getting a free space, all good as in no rush, told them they can have it over winter, or longer if need be, do it between jibs to get a better price, hopefully all be good after. Then it's just a case of getting the bolt on parts cleaned up and powder coated. Hopefully this classic will have a long life in front of her!

Today's little job, get rid of a previous owners Battery clamp bodge. With the big folder of receipts for money spent on it, I can't believe this bent screw with a frayed bit of strap tied round it to hold in the Battery, for the sake of £7...

I know I need to give the engine bay a good clean ☠

20210622_173510.jpg

20210622_173517.jpg

20210622_173933.jpg

20210622_174101.jpg

20210622_180013.jpg

20210622_180339.jpg

20210622_180018.jpg

• Like 1