New Outback and tyres

rich1068

I've just ordered one of the run out Outbacks from my local dealer and looking round the one in the showroom I notice they're fitted with Bridgestone Dueler HT tyres. As far as I'm aware a "standard" tyre. I was surprised not to see at least all seasons.

Anyone any experience of the Bridgestones? I'm thinking ahead to the fairly inevitable bad weather later in the year in deepest Yorkshire.

Ta.

I've also just acquired an OB, four weeks ago, and it came with Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport tyres on.  I tried to buy another H/P for the spare wheel, but Bridgestone UK confirmed to me that they have now discontinued that model of tyre and that the Turanza was the next nearest!  Yet Subarl UK said it, the Turanza, couldn't be used as a full-time tyre mixed with the others, but only used as a temporary spare.  I'd hoped to have been able to have a 5 wheel rotation pattern so that all 5 tyres/wheels had a similar level of wear on them, just in case I got an unfixable puncture and then could avoid having to buy 4 new tyres!

I eventually sourced a H/P but after a lot of effort (in the size for the OB 225/60 R18).  Had a quick check of the H/T in 225.60 R18 and can't find another one of those either, but just a cursory check so far.

I think both the H/P and H/T are classed as summer tyres, with no snowflake emblem on the side walls, but I'd read somewhere they were also described as "all season" in the US.

As I live in the rural north Pennines, at altitude,  I'll be fitting winter tyres come November, as I've always done for the last 20 years of motoring.  Never tried all-season/all-weather tyres, but they could work too.

set of winter tyres and rims is best result, some all seasons not bad but in many cases it a mix of trying be good at it all resulting in not very good at any conditions .
Not biggest fan of bridgestone, think they could of done lot better for forester vx and outback odels for uk climate and vehicles likely usage .

On 5/18/2021 at 8:25 PM, Mr B said:

set of winter tyres and rims is best result, some all seasons not bad but in many cases it a mix of trying be good at it all resulting in not very good at any conditions .
Not biggest fan of bridgestone, think they could of done lot better for forester vx and outback odels for uk climate and vehicles likely usage .

Agree.  I've looked at all-seasons, but have always gone for winter tyres, usually (vredestines).  Since changing to the OB I'm pondering what to do this winter.  With my last two cars (both Skoda Yetis) I bought a set of Skoda OE alloys for the winter wheels acquired when I bought the first Yeti and so they fitted the second too.  The alloys were on-offer or otherwise I'd have bought steel rims.  With the car I owned prior to the Yetis' (A Skoda Octavia 1.8T 4x4) I just changed the tyres over and didn't buy a new set of rims. However, the advantage of having my own set of winter rims and tyres is that I can change them over, at home, whenever I want and i'd read somewhere that fitting and re-fitting a tyre multiple times onto and off a rim can create its own issues.

Maybe I'll look to get a set of Subaru steel wheels for winter tyres, but with the Subaru that'll lead to having to also buy a set of TPMS values (about £100   https://www.impactdiagnostics.store/autel-tpms-valve-4-pack  )and also the issue issue of re-registering them (about £300     https://www.autel.uk/diagnostics/tpms/ts508/    for the re-registering tool) which I'd prefer to do myself.  Costs mount up!

Anyone know the cost of Subaru steel rims?  I'd only want Subaru OE so as to avoid any insurance issues (modifications).