Timing Belt Replacement on Low Mileage Car

2016 Levorg 1.6 GT, now five years old but I have only done 23k miles.  Fully serviced from new but I don’t know whether I need to be thinking about replacing the timing belt due to age rather than mileage.  Any thoughts/advice, please?

not heard of these failing due to age unless the car has been sat for a long period with no use then you tend to have oil leaks to deal with as well - if you are concerned remove part of the cover and see if the belt is cracking. I change mine at 35-40k buuut I do get the peace of mind feeling so if it will make you feel better there is no reason you shouldn't. Instead though I would consider a brake fluid flush and transmission oil change instead - easy bit of preventative maintenance and brake fluid absorbs water over time. Give your brake calipers a clean and ensure all pistons are free.  

My 2010 Impreza handbook only shows mileage points for belt change, I asked a tech about it and told me they don’t need changing with age, just mileage. Had it changed in 2019 before hitting 60k just for peace of mind with the belt been 9 years old though they did say the belt looked fine when they replaced it.

Rather the cost of a belt change than the chance of it failing personally. 

Thanks - it hasn’t been lying idle and has been properly serviced every 12 months.  Had done 19k when lockdown started last year and only done 4K since but was just wondering if the fatigued with age (like me ...).

6 hours ago, Trawlerman said:

Thanks - it hasn’t been lying idle and has been properly serviced every 12 months.  Had done 19k when lockdown started last year and only done 4K since but was just wondering if the fatigued with age (like me ...).

No you houdl be fine with the way you have treated that motor :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Trawlerman said:

Think my engine’s still OK but my bodywork is definitely showing signs of wear!  Anyway, thanks for your advice and I’ll leave the timing belt for now.

Sounds like there could be some time detailing ahead 😁

I'd personally just have your mechanic do a visual inspection when its next in.

Also, if you do change it, make sure your mechanic uses proper Subaru / oem timing belt kit.