Headlights Adjustment advice.

I had a bit of a rant (thanks Forum for the chance to therapeutically vent - I felt better for it afterwards - all calm now) on another thread last week about my issues with the auto-levelling headlights on my 6 months old Outback being set too high from the factory, causing other oncoming traffic to flash me.  With the nights drawing in this is the first time I've really used the headlights.

I've just phoned the dealer I got the car from to ask for advice and whether any adjustment would come under the warranty or, if not, if I'd have to pay for it.  The point being that if its going to cost me I might as well take it to my village garage down the road.  The dealer's advice was ambiguous at best about the warranty claim.

So, anyone else with a newish Subaru had any similar headlight problems, and if so what did you do about it?

Thanks.

Not as new as yours but I did refurb my impreza headlights and once refitted they were very low, a quick visit to a buddy who does MOT's and he pointed out that even though they are self levelling they do need to be set up initially - he then turned to with a spanner and within a few turns he had them set properly.

Why not drop into an MOT place and get them checked as they may not have been set correctly from the factory - this would not be picked up for x3 years until first MOT is due

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:06 AM, Justin Time said:

I had a bit of a rant (thanks Forum for the chance to therapeutically vent - I felt better for it afterwards - all calm now) on another thread last week about my issues with the auto-levelling headlights on my 6 months old Outback being set too high from the factory, causing other oncoming traffic to flash me.  With the nights drawing in this is the first time I've really used the headlights.

I've just phoned the dealer I got the car from to ask for advice and whether any adjustment would come under the warranty or, if not, if I'd have to pay for it.  The point being that if its going to cost me I might as well take it to my village garage down the road.  The dealer's advice was ambiguous at best about the warranty claim.

So, anyone else with a newish Subaru had any similar headlight problems, and if so what did you do about it?

Thanks.

New Levorg with self levelling LED headlights. Not had an issue with mine so far. Sometimes coming over a brow or going over bumps they seem a bit slow to adjust, but not had anyone flashing me.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.  I checked out the issue on subaruoutback.org and it seems it's not an uncommon issue.  There's a Subaru Of America note to dealers over there to explain how to sort it out.  Basically, the issue can happen with new Subies, with auto-levelling LEDs if they've been recently transported on a truck and haven't been on the level, as often happens.  Long-term parkign on a hill/slope can also cause an issue it seems. The SOA advice was that the system usually sorts itself out after a period (although the time period wasn't specified).  If that doesn't work there's a trick dealers can do with the fusebox in the engine bay to 'nudge' the correction.

I'm pleased to say that the first option (just wait a bit) sorted it out for me.  A couple of nights ago I was late home and was dreading driving back along the busy A66.  As it happened, no one flashed me, not even the truck drivers who are usually quick to signal if youve forgotten to dip you headlights!  So, result!  I'll add that in the intervening days and the correction I hadn't done any night driving so it must have been the 45 min drive home on the problem night that sorted it.

Still don't like the High Beam Assist though 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!

I have replaced level sensors both front and rear on my 2009 Subaru Impreza (UK) that has some auto leveling system.  I also had to repair/restore some arms holding the sensor in position. At the MOT the guys were trying to adjust the headlights as they were saying it was aiming too low but failed to adjust it saying it didn't want to do it. There is some adjustment screw at the back of the headlamp but seems like it doesn't lets you do any adjustment. Is there some special procedure to adjust the headlights? I've found something on the internet (attached) but it doesn't seem to work on my car. I'm guessing there has to be some way of programming/resetting that leveling system after a new sensors had been fitted.

Thanks.

Screenshot from 2022-10-11 20-45-59.png

Never mind :).

I tried again and with a bit more patience I could lift the headlights higher using the adjustment screws. The lights do auto calibrate somehow each time you move the adjustment screw which can make you feel somethings not right. Hopefully I can go for retest now 😅

• 1 year later...
On 10/12/2022 at 6:54 PM, huami said:

Never mind :).

I tried again and with a bit more patience I could lift the headlights higher using the adjustment screws. The lights do auto calibrate somehow each time you move the adjustment screw which can make you feel somethings not right. Hopefully I can go for retest now 😅

Hi. I'm trying to adjust my headlights using the adjustment screws. Did you turn the screw clockwise or anticlockwise (viewed from the engine side) to raise the lights? Does it take a lot of turns to make a visible shift? Cheers!