Suspected wheel hop?

Hi all,
I'm getting a weird sound/jolt which I can only really compare to wheel hop when reversing and turning left or right very slowly + being almost full lock on the wheel.
I don't really have any ideas what could be causing it but any suggestions of where to start would be awesome.
Car in question is a 2012 Subaru STI sedan!

Cheers

It is normal to get that when doing slow speed turns its the differences in the AWD system correcting itself - mentions it in the manual, not had it when reversing though, are x2 of your tyres more worn than the other x2 front or rear giving a difference in rolling radius?

On 1/25/2022 at 9:07 PM, Jay762 said:

It is normal to get that when doing slow speed turns its the differences in the AWD system correcting itself - mentions it in the manual, not had it when reversing though, are x2 of your tyres more worn than the other x2 front or rear giving a difference in rolling radius?

I thought it might have been the tyres at first, but I had 4 brand new tyres put on and hasn't made any difference.

I only really get it in the morning as well! 

10 hours ago, Jinshim said:

I thought it might have been the tyres at first, but I had 4 brand new tyres put on and hasn't made any difference.

I only really get it in the morning as well! 

Ok that rules the tyres out, when you pull into your parking spot is it a tight turn?

12 hours ago, Jay762 said:

Ok that rules the tyres out, when you pull into your parking spot is it a tight turn?

Quite tight yeh, slight raise in kerb - at first I thought it could be the LSD kicking in a bit as a wheel raises but there is no hop what so ever, apart from the mornings and only while reversing full lock?!

Could if be the diff fluid not at operating temps first thing in the morning?

If you do not get this whilst reversing in a straight line it is def the 'twist' in the axles and diffs - I get it on my hatches even on the NA RX model due to the AWD setup. Its not your diff fluid temp.

It does mention it in the manual somewhere - If I remember rightly

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 12:25 PM, Jay762 said:

If you do not get this whilst reversing in a straight line it is def the 'twist' in the axles and diffs - I get it on my hatches even on the NA RX model due to the AWD setup. Its not your diff fluid temp.

It does mention it in the manual somewhere - If I remember rightly

Sorry for the late reply!

Thanks for the answer and confirmation - definitely helps stop the worry about it!! 

• Like 1