What turbo to Go for

Bailey nator

I have 2002 bugeye WRX exhaust systems changed air filter done have pink sti injectors to fit and going to get uprated fuel pump oh and sports cat down pipe but now think turbo change time aswell can I have hybrid on it if so what one if not what can I go for have 275bhp now happy with around 320 bhp would be great

I would say it depends on budget and if you want to go new or second hand. May be worth looking at resonated decats rather than sports cat systems, sports cats tend to be mega money and a resonated decat wont be too loud (i have a resonated decat on mine). Beware of cheap turbos as they tend to be copys and, well you get a chinese knock off.

Cheapest option will be a second hand vf35 from an sti. Will go on and give a nice increase, finding a decent, none cracked, second hand one is getting harder now though.

A VF34 is a step up oon the 35, similar spool but tends to give 5% more power than the vf35. Again getting harder to find now as they are less common and pron wont get much change from £1400 ish + fitting https://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_218&products_id=1520

Arguably IMO the best upgrade is a SC36 (although you'll get many different opinions on whats 'better'), its rated to 360bhp and spool like a stabbbed rat http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_93&product_id=127

Alot of tuners have their own prefered brand of turbos, but my advice would be to go to your prefered tuner and tell them you want a sportygs catted system, turbo upgrade and a map and then let them do it all, saves any risk of argument if something goes wrong. They also typicly do 'performance packages' that will be all the bits you need inc fitting so saves the hassel of collecting the different bits.

6 hours ago, Tidgy said:

I would say it depends on budget and if you want to go new or second hand. May be worth looking at resonated decats rather than sports cat systems, sports cats tend to be mega money and a resonated decat wont be too loud (i have a resonated decat on mine). Beware of cheap turbos as they tend to be copys and, well you get a chinese knock off.

Cheapest option will be a second hand vf35 from an sti. Will go on and give a nice increase, finding a decent, none cracked, second hand one is getting harder now though.

A VF34 is a step up oon the 35, similar spool but tends to give 5% more power than the vf35. Again getting harder to find now as they are less common and pron wont get much change from £1400 ish + fitting https://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_218&products_id=1520

Arguably IMO the best upgrade is a SC36 (although you'll get many different opinions on whats 'better'), its rated to 360bhp and spool like a stabbbed rat http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_93&product_id=127

Alot of tuners have their own prefered brand of turbos, but my advice would be to go to your prefered tuner and tell them you want a sportygs catted system, turbo upgrade and a map and then let them do it all, saves any risk of argument if something goes wrong. They also typicly do 'performance packages' that will be all the bits you need inc fitting so saves the hassel of collecting the different bits.

Thanks for the reply I will have a look to see what is about think my dad running vf35 on his own

Just now, Bailey nator said:

Thanks for the reply I will have a look to see what is about think my dad running vf35 on his own

Sorry may sound silly the lower the number the more power IE vf22 give more than say vf 24 if they do one that is or is that not how work

1 hour ago, Bailey nator said:

Sorry may sound silly the lower the number the more power IE vf22 give more than say vf 24 if they do one that is or is that not how work

not always, but its a reasonable guide. it can refer to different specification, eg ball bearing core or journal bearing core.

eg

VF30 is journal bearing, so slower spool

VF34, roller bearing using VF30 housings, so gives best spool and top, however it is typicly the most expensive of them (and tbh an sc36 will outperform it in both spool and top end and as above be cheaper)

VF35, Journal bearing, uses a smaller housing to improve spool, but reduces top end,

VF turbo's are gettng a tad long in the tooth nowadays as technology has moved on and alot of tuners have developed thier own turbos. SC series are scoobyclinic spec made by blouch in the US for example.

23 hours ago, Tidgy said:

not always, but its a reasonable guide. it can refer to different specification, eg ball bearing core or journal bearing core.

eg

VF30 is journal bearing, so slower spool

VF34, roller bearing using VF30 housings, so gives best spool and top, however it is typicly the most expensive of them (and tbh an sc36 will outperform it in both spool and top end and as above be cheaper)

VF35, Journal bearing, uses a smaller housing to improve spool, but reduces top end,

VF turbo's are gettng a tad long in the tooth nowadays as technology has moved on and alot of tuners have developed thier own turbos. SC series are scoobyclinic spec made by blouch in the US for example.

Cheers pal I may have to contact scooby clinic

On 5/26/2022 at 7:52 PM, Bailey nator said:

Cheers pal I may have to contact scooby clinic

Always done my work and ive used them for about 20 years now, have a look at my build thread for a few ideas 😄