First time Subaru owner from Lichfield

Chris335i

Hey! I'm Chris, 25 and first time owner. After admiring from afar for years i decided to go for it so I just bought a Hawkeye WRX! I have already penciled in things I'm gonna buy for it haha! As a gearbox reconditioner by trade I hope to provide some insight from time to time in exchange for the forums wealth of experiance with Subaru :D

For my first question I'd like some advice. My WRX has the small standard spoiler and i have always prefered the bigger STI one. Whats my best option?

Can anyone vouch for these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-PLASTIC-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-VERSION-7-8-9-REAR-BOOT-SPOILER-GDA-GDB-2001-/251347166136?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a857563b8

I'm aware that some drilling would be involved with my current WRX boot lid. And I know plenty places to get it painted.

OR how difficult would it be for me to find a STI bootlid in silver?

Look forward to hearing from you! :lol:

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Nice choice of car (clearly from a complete bias view) ;)

When I changed the Blobeyes rear spoiler from the WRX I didn't need to do any drilling at all swapped over, I did put some silicon over the holes though, but I went with buying one that was already sprayed my colour from a breakers. Had a few marks as you would expect but still look's great IMO :)

So that's the route I would recommend I was searching for a few weeks, and all in was about £280 with P&P. Still think it was cheaper then getting one sprayed, but I don't know anyone who does that :D

But if you really can't wait or have the time to search then I'd say be as good as any spoiler really. Any problem I have found with these types is if the break light bulbs go in the spoiler is replacing them. 

And please feel free to have a look around and join in on the threads, great bunch of people on here that are happy to help and have a laugh. 

:D

I read somewhere the STI spoilers were bolted with more bolts than the wrx one thus the drilling. Regardless I'll get my hands on a spoiler one way or another and see what I end up with haha! Might ring round some breakers I know an see what turns up. Mines silver so I may have trouble finding one. Thanks for the speedy responses guys!

If I get chance and remember I have a look later for you and count them, but I know it just went straight on........ I went out and had a look it got the better of me ;) there is four holes for the bolts same as the WRX spoiler so no drilling to be done mate :)

And I found mine on eBay while I was looking there was silver and black ones too so shouldn't be to hard to find I will keep an eye out too for you :D

• Like 1

One of the 1st thing's I have bought since they came out touch screen the Blobeye has a pop out screen from my last car as I could only get a single din in the BMW :D I went with something I'd not done before with my Bugeye and fitted a PC in it with touch screen :D 

Yeah I didn't pay that much should be able to pick one up less then £300 I won my via and auction though. Sat and watched it for about 12 days I put £280 with £20 P&P and won it at £260. I thought buying a new one and getting it sprayed it would cost me more in the long run :D 

Very cool! Endless possibilities running an OS in your car. Next step is a USB data dongle haha!

And funny you should say that I have a Bluetooth one but was thinking of getting a USB one to wire into it. And you are right can get Satnav use my mobile with it I have internet on it already ;) 

Welcome to the forum fella, I'm not 100% on new age scoobs but I do know you can swap the front ends from the bug eye to the hawk eye and the bumpers and back lights too, I'd look at the shape of the boot lid on the other 2 models, bug and blob, if they look the same shape then they may well fit like other parts, this would make the search for one somewhat easier and likely cheaper too, I'd just get a second opinion on whether it will fit or not first though

• Like 1

Oh and I've used a pioneer avic all singing all dancing satnav unit before, I'd most definitely buy another if I have a double din car again, great sound quality as a Stereo, great navigation as a satnav, great bluebook features for the phone and if your an Apple user great features for its based music files

Haha, you wanna hear me rant about mobile phones, that's my second love after cars, I've had a mobile phone since I was 18 and I'm 36 now, I've always had the latest and greatest and I pass the car phone warehouse staff off when I go in because I'm telling them about phones that they didn't even know ow existed yet lol

I've had the iphone in the past from the early days, trouble is I've been on Vodafone since it started and they only had iphone on o2 at first, I had to jailbreak it to convert it to Vodafone, this in turn lead to me doing the same with every iphone I had upto the 4,it was also a pain in the **** when they updated them as you'd have to wait for the jailbreak, they've got better but until the 4s you were stuck with extremely limited functions unless you jailbreak it, one of the biggest issues I had was if you bought a full music track from iTunes you would have to pay again if you wanted 30 seconds of that track as a ring tone, everything seems to be about making money with them, then there's the technology, they have always been a few years behind most other brands when it comes to stuff everybody else has, the iphone 3 came with a 1.3 mega pixel camera, the yearly equivalent Nokia N96 had 5 and a flash, when Apple got 5 most were on 8 now Apple have 8 and the HTC one has an ultrapixel camera, then you look at design, the HTC sensation had gorilla glass when the iPhone 4 was out that was just glass, then as the 4s comes out with the same glass front and back the galaxy S3 has gorilla glass, to show the difference there was a video on you tube, iPhone 4s vs galaxy S3 drag test, some guy drags 2 brand new phones over tarmac and gravel with the camera on them at all times, when done the iPhone is battered beyond recognition, the galaxy screen doesn't have a mark on it, all Apple create is products for the fashion conscious, all the others incorporate practicality too, not to mention memory, if you fill an iPhone, which I did with a 32gb one, you have to remove stuff for it to run right and to put anything else on, with 99% of other phones you have a minimum 16gb internal storage and upto 32gb on external if required, one phone will now take 500gb external memeory