AUTO BOX IN A P1........FOR WHEELCHAIR USER????

Hi guys

This is my first post so here goes.

I'm looking at getting an Impreza P1. The only issue I have is that I'm in a wheelchair and so need an automatic gear box so it can be driven with my hand controls. Can anyone advise on which box fits what engines? I'd like to keep with the 2.0 turbo engines, would a forester gear box fit to an impreza engine?

Any help and advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ollie

A box from a Subaru Legacy RS-K (saloon) or GT-B (estate) - 3rd Generation, model code BE5 for the RS-K or BH5 for the GT-B - will fit but you will also need to change the drive shaft as it's a different length, and rear diff as the front diff is a different ratio. You can use the diff direct from the auto Legacy but as the Impreza is a few inches shorter you will probably have to find a drive shaft from an Impreza auto, which are very rare in this country. The manual clutch and brake pedals are the same for both cars so in theory the Legacy auto pedals should be a straight fit too. You may have a problem with the ECU as you won't be able to interchange those... I would see if any of the aftermarket ECU manufactures support an auto option.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard bud, I'm sure anythings possible, if you don't mind me asking, do you have zero use of your legs? I only as as a mate of mine, sadly now gone, he had a massive accident on an autobahn and lost his right leg, he loved vw's and was adamant he was going to get a mk2 golf gti, they only come in manual and as it's a hot hatch the gearing would have been different in a box from something else, he managed to get it converted to hand controls for accelerate and brake, same lever on the wheel with a push pull feature, would it not be possible to do this for your situation, might be easier

The project is very much achievable. The version 5 and 6 Impreza (the P1 is version 6) was based very much on the Generation 3 Legacy that came out a year or two before, and when Prodrive converted the type-R to the P1 for the UK market many if the parts they used, including the 5-speed manual gearbox, came directly from the Legacy.

If I were doing the work, the first thing I would do is find a Legacy auto as a donor car (look for one with a failed engine for under £1,000) and I'd expect to get 90% of the needed parts from that.

• Like 1

There was a lot of in-fighting among the P1 owners about 18 months ago and several owners had enough of all the name calling and sold their cars.  With so many going for sale at the same time it pushed the used prices down and they have never really recovered.  There are bargains to be had out there!

Wotcha and welcome - some P1 examples for 6 - 8 - 10k at the moment, various mileages but all look in very good condition - for this type of project I would consider getting the drive shaft machined or one of the carbon fibre ones made up.

Keep us posted whatever way you decide to go - that Avatar is great made me genuinely laugh out loud :lol:

Look's like a good buy and I agree I can't believe how cheap they ave come down in price just from looking on eBay sure there is better 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Y-SUBARU-IMPREZA-P1-2-0-TURBO-2dr-COUPE-FULL-SUBARU-HISTORY-UK-CAR-sti-/171148924484?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27d9455644

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-impreza-P1-/141092161530?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20d9bf87fa

The list goes on that was 1st few I looked at :)