Posible head gasket issue

stuWRXmartin

I would get a 2nd engine priced up with fitting and workout which is cheaper in the long run, you said it would take a week if you have the rebuild so gives you a bit of time . But as Jay said depends on how much you like the car I guess. £1200 seem's about the right price for te head to be done as said in the other post.

And not tell them :unsure: 

I wont tell you what or what not to do. I wouldn't myself but I'm the sort that gives the car an oil change new breaks and pads before I sell it :D 

Pistons out of place? Well that's a new one on me. Did you talk to a mechanic or a sales man?

Head gaskets are a routine job. The only reason it cost so much is because of the time required to remove and replace the engine. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a new engine because you don't.

Pistons out of place? As per what Adam said. The guy must have been a salesman, or the janitor :)

Do not go for a secondhand engine. Only my opinion but suppose you did and then had it fitted. What's to say that 6 weeks down the road, the head gaskets go, or worse.

Head gaskets are not a problem. As Adam says, it's simply the time it takes to remove and refit the engine which costs the money.

As long as the heads are skimmed, the job should be good for many thousand more miles.

I would be happy to quote you for the work. I currently have customers car from Kent here for work, so distance isn't really an issue.

Well gents... I took the rad out flushed the system through, put the car on the hill topped up with coolant and wate. System took about 7.7 lts and guess what... perfect. I had a huge air lock. Looks like it had been heating the air, dragging some oil in to the coolant. Took it for a spin - left it running for over an hour and good as new. Even booster has come on earlier than before by 500revs.

Not sure if long term damage has been done considering hydro carbon test???

well fingers crossed - but keep an eye on the levels, oil and coolant as you have highlighted there may have been damage done by the overheating.

what you possibly have now is the time to consider the options to give you peace of mind/assurance, engine swap, car swap (risk with the unknown again) or engine out and heads checked??

Thats excellent news. However, be very wary and check all the levels very regularly. For oil to mix with coolant, something is definitely amiss. I would still suspect head gaskets, so just be very careful for a while.

Guys - I cant thank you enough for all your help and advice. I had to really think about whats best and so its with regret (doing my Alan Sugar impression) I have part ex'd it :-( believe me I am sad about it but its for the best!! Mini cooper S it is then.

I agree I've seen so many people say that's it I'm selling and just getting a van or a Ford. And seen them buy another about a year later :D longest I've seen was 8 years but we all come back at some stage :D