MICE eating my fuel line

DanDeLeon

Yes, wire wool might do the trick - good idea.  I live deep in the rural north pennines, and we have problems with mice, rats, voles and shrews getting into the garden and outbuildings and making nests and eating stuff.  Well, we did, until a stoat took up residence in the byre 🙂 The terminator. Sorry, I can't think of a practical way for enticing stoaty to hang around your motor. Know anyone with ferrets?  Ferret crap scares vermin too, but you have to be able to tolerate it yourself!! 🙂

Just thinking, mice do learn quite quickly where 'food' sources are, and keep coming back.  But if you can wipe out the 'family' that learning is lost.  If you park in a regular sport, could you shove a poison baited vermin box underneath (to protect other animals from eating the poison)? 

• Like 1

I'm just assuming its mice, I also have rats, squirrels and I would imagine many other things and I really dont want to go down the road of killing them yet. What about the idea of having a wire/mesh panel welded to the underside protecting the engine ? What would be the down side of this , not mechanically minded really.

I think that if you welded some sort of plating it would make access to the underside of the vehicle for maintenance problematic.  Also, mice and such can be determined little critters and it would need to have any gaps filled to prevent their access, as mice can for example, articulate their skulls to access very small holes.  I don'\t think sheeting or mesh would be the best option for the latter reasons.  Trying to 'armour' the fuel line directly, might be a none lethal (to the vermin) option.

Apparently, it's a regualr problem with people who store their vintage cars.  https://www.mouserepel.com/how-to-keep-mice-out-of-your-car/  

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/how-to-protect-your-car-from-rodents-a5816950285/

Honda also sell 'pepper-tape' https://www.honda.wales/estore/GENUINE-HONDA-RODENT-TAPE-19MM-x-20METRES-p147716010

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Thank you I really appreciate the help. I have had many cars over the years and this has never happened to any of them, I never considered the restrictions.  Maybe its to do with how the engine sits ? Will check out the links you gave me there could be some interesting things on there. Cheers J.

you could put stainless braided sleeve over the fuel pipe but issue is they may move  to something else and more expensive resolve like wiring harnesses in difficult spots and finding the fault/damage can get difficult and costly .
I do a fair few vehicles for farmers/smallholder and done fair few faults that turn out rodent damage and on the newer cars with loads of modules and networking it soon gets serious in running issues and cost .
Worth looking at all options available to limit from hassle and expense .