Reading 'Check Engine' codes on a 1999 Forester

Mr San

How hard can it be?

Hi guys

Been trying to find what the check engine without much success

its been on and off for months but now the car has faiiled its mot on emmissions (not by much) so i was hoping that this could shed some light on what the problem might be but cannot get anything to communicate with the cars system

so i was wondering if anyone knows what system subaru used for this vehicle as it doesn't appear to be OBD (1 2 or E or any other variant)

1999 Forester non-turbo (bog standard)

cheers

san

Cheers for that

although there is a OBD style socket under the dash which is what has been used to plug in the code reader..

and I thought alfa's were odd

right, will try this and report back

cheers

san

Right!

Finally had time to get this done

and yes it worked

got 22, 26, 33

which is :

22 - knock sensor

26 - intake air temp sensor

33 - vehicle speed sensor

I've replaced the speed sensor about six months ago as there wasn't one connected

its had a full service at about the same time along with belts and water pump

so is it worth resetting the codes and see what happens?

san

Hi mate just added it to the guide. Sorry I've posted it here too 

1. Ensure engine is at normal operating temperature, turn engine off
  2. Locate the two ECU connectors, located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector
  3. With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
  4. Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle, then return it to the half-throttle position and hold for a few seconds, and then release
  5. Engine Check lamp turns on
  6. Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 10mph.
  7. ECU is now re-set.
  8. At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
  9. Stop the car and turn off the engine.
  10. Disconnect the black and green connectors.
  11. Job complete
  • Like 1

Cheers for that

well I disconnected the Battery for about 25ish minutes then I've been for a good razz round

light came on - went off - came on - went off etc.......

stayed off for quite a while then eventually came on and stayed on for quite a while

I'll check the codes again in the morning and we'll see what happens next

san

• Like 1

Finally got a chance to have another look at the codes and disconnecting the Battery for a while does seem to clear the codes

this time only one

22 - knock sensor

so now I need to find out if it's the sensor or a symptom of something else

although having googled symptoms it would explain a few things

anyone have access to autodata and be able to find the resistance for the sensor?

san

finally found the section on knock sensor in the workshop manual, got out my trusty multimeter and did a resistance test on the sensor and it failed (open circuit) so looks like it a new one from import car parts :D

san

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

a quick catchup as the rest of the thread has gone awol.....

spent the morning checking, tightening cleaning etc...

took it for a razz and a recheck but cannot get the O2 readings down or to stay constant

and as i can't find any air leaks the only other things it could be is either coolant temp sensor or cat

san

I'd say cats. Thats whats happened to mine. Threw up a 02 sensor code while hammering up the m1 the other week cleared it and reset ecu now fine (touch wood) . My emissions were out for the m.o.t but managed to sort a solution just saving money for new cat & exhaust.

Do you not know a friendly mechanic/MOT guy I know mine should fail as he can't even read mine and it has no cat. But because he's happy everything else is safe he doesn't mind. It's like said he could waste my time making put one on to remove straight after :D   

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY!!!!!

fitted new cat and it went through putting out fresh air (almost)

so after all the new bits I've fitted it now runs like new and should fly through MOT for the next ten years

@Gambit, very friendly mot place... two tests and numerous gas checks £20 + set of alloys :D :D

thanks to everyone who made suggestions

san

• Like 1