F1's Raikkonen's Season Over

Gambit

For you F1 fan's 

Kimi Raikkonen's Formula One season is over after it was confirmed that the Lotus driver will undergo back surgery next week. 

The decision to take the operation before the end of the season brings to a premature end his two-year career with Lotus which has been soured by a pay dispute. 

Raikkonen, who will drive for Ferrari next term, threatened to withdraw from last week's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix over the financial row, but it appeared the matter had been settled with the Finn declaring he was 'looking forward' to next weekend's race in the United States in Lotus's race preview released on Friday.

article-0-1878A03A000005DC-624_634x452.j

That's all from me: A back injury means Lotus Renault's Kimi Raikkonen will miss the remainder of the Formula One season

article-0-192B755300000578-196_634x415.j

I'm walking away: Kimi Raikkonen had to retire on lap one of the Abu Dhabi Formula One Grand Prix at the Yas Marina Circuit. It proved to be his last race for Lotus as he will drive for Ferrari next season

article-0-0255E5AF000005DC-914_634x461.j

Looking to lead again: Raikkonen returns to Ferrari next season who he drove for from 2007 - 2009

Lotus F1 Team have confirmed that Räikkönen will miss the final two races of the 2013 Formula 1 season to undergo, and recover from, back surgery on the back pain which almost forced him out of September's SIngapore Grand Prix, in Austria next week.

The team will make an announcement about the replacement driver for the United States and Brazilian Grands Prix in due course.

Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson told AUTOSPORT: 'In an ideal world it would have been nice to finish the season with Lotus in the final two grands prix.

'However, due to the severe pain that Kimi is having, sadly it is not possible.'

article-0-1BC22FD0000005DC-965_306x423.j
article-0-18911BDF000005DC-935_306x423.j

Winning team: Raikkonen (left) will team up with Spanish driver Fernando Alonso (right) at Ferrari next season

article-0-01B106EC000004B0-170_634x399.j

All systems go: The Ferrari team will be hoping to push the Red Bull racing-Renault team much closer in the team championship table next season

The Finn's recovery period is expected to last four weeks. Lotus are yet to make a statement over Raikkonen's decision.

Raikkonen's last words as a Lotus driver before his injury was announcement

Here's what Lotus quoted him saying in their pre-race press release submitted on Friday.

Kimi heads to Austin looking for a longer race than last time out, and expecting to enjoy some good ol’ fashioned American hospitality. 

What do you think of the Circuit of the Americas? 

It’s a nice circuit. The layout is quite interesting and the racing last year was good. The sectors of the track are fairly different, so there’s a challenge there. Last year the days started out pretty cold so it was very slippery, but hopefully now it’s been used a bit more the track surface won’t be as shiny, so it should be easier to get the car as we want it. 

How are you looking forward to racing in Austin again?

After going there for the first time last year – like everyone – I’m particularly looking forward to this one. I like the American atmosphere, it’s just a relaxed environment. They know how to have fun, and most of all they love racing.

What are your memories of last year’s race?

It was an okay day, but not a very easy one for us. I got a bad start and then I touched with another car on the first lap so I had a lot of work to do. We were using quite hard tyres for the race so it was difficult to get the performance you wanted from them; especially when it got cooler because of the clouds that day. Hopefully it’ll be clear skies this year.

Do you think a better performance is possible this year?

The car has been feeling pretty good and we’ve seen some good races this year. We won’t know how good it is in Austin until we’re out on track, but we’re certainly pushing for a good result. 

Any thoughts looking back at your race in Abu Dhabi?

It wasn’t the longest race I’ve been in; certainly not as good as my 2012 race there either. Obviously it wasn’t ideal, but that’s the way things go sometimes. We should have a much longer race in Austin.

I agree I doubt he has to worry about money to be fair, but let's face it he risk's his life and has been doing well for Lotus. I still think it was to do with him leaving and re joining Ferrari next season.