Battery Registration

XFJagman

When I change the Battery on my 2011 Legacy 2.0i, will I need to register the new Battery with the ECU?  I have seen many U Tube clips of Subaru Battery replacement and none of them do that. 

I understand it needs garage equipment to register a Battery, so if it is essential, can I fit the battery myself and take it to a garage to register? 

Hi, and thanks for your speedy reply.  

I think Halfords might have been trying to get some extra work as they charge £20 to fit a Battery.  They said they couldn't quote for a Battery. I had to bring it in for a Battery check (one p/a free for club members) and they would quote after that. 

I have a Bosch S4025 fitted to the car, which has the positive terminal at the LEFT front but eBay Battery checker says I should have a Bosch S4024 with the positive terminal at the RIGHT front.  Does anyone know which is correct for a 2011 2.0ES Nav? 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Bosch S4025, same as the one fitted to the car, which has the positive terminal at the LEFT front and a re-check showed that Subaru hadn't changed my original Battery. It was done at my local PTA so the leads are original and would not fit a Positive terminal on the RIGHT Front, so eBay Battery checker is wrong.   Also, registration does not seem to be required, as nothing has happened since fitting the new Battery

The key messages are - Don't trust everything you read online.  And don't trust what a mechanic tells you, when he has something to gain.   

I found this article:

https://www.bannerbatterien.com/en-gb/Battery-knowledge/7-HOW-TO-Correctly-registering-start-stop-batteries

which advises whether registration is, or isn't necessary for a long list of vehicle manufacturers, unfortunately not including Subaru.  

It does say, for example, for Audi "Without configuration or by installing a replacement Battery from the free aftermarket, this may cause restrictions in the functionality and increased Battery wear due to incorrectly functioning shut-off stages."   For BMW, "Registration is required for all start-stop vehicles with IBS (intelligent Battery sensor) from 2008 onwards. Without registration, the Battery may be overcharged..."

They recommend using a memory saver, which plugs into the OBD socket and maintains a 12V supply while the old battery is replaced. They say "If a battery is replaced with the Memory Saver, it is usually not necessary to re-register."  I tied wires to the positive and negative clamps, connected to a jump starter while I replaced my battery, which maintained power to the ECU and my car is showing no ill effects.   

Somewhere else, I heard that, as a battery ages, the car's BEM charges it more aggressively, so not registering a new battery would cause it to be charged too aggressively and shorten its life, something that would pass unnoticed until it fails sooner than it should.  

Can anyone confirm this?  

• Like 1