Subaru UK Rip-off Spares Pricing

I recently took my 2013 Outback to an independent garage to investigate a blocked DPF.  The problem was caused by a faulty DPF sensor which had effectively disabled the auto regen process so the DPF became clogged over time.  The sensor needed to be replaced and a forced regen cleared the DPF.  The garage bought a replacement sensor part number 22627AA500 from a Subaru UK parts distributor and were charged £368.35 inc VAT for the sensor a price that they passed onto me in my bill for the repair.  When I challenged the bill, the garage explained the price they had paid for the part and they were open and honest about this.  This is a part that is commonly available through independent parts suppliers for a fraction of the cost.  I wonder if any one else has been ripped off by Subaru UK due to the ridiculously high markups they charge for so called genuine Subaru spare parts and if anyone has any ideas about what redress there is to complain about this example of what to me feels like gross profiteering?

Colleague recently had yet another repair on his (just out of warranty) BMW, needed new DPF sensors to the tune of £1200 apparently all in, all specialst parts not easily available elsewhere are expensive through the main dealers with few exceptions.

Your problem isn't with Subaru as such, its whether your indy should have asked you whether you wanted a pattern or genuine part fitting given the cost difference assuming they knew one was available, some indies will only fit genuine parts because they know it will work (assuming they've diagnosed correctly) first time and stay working, maybe your indy has had bad experiences of pattern parts and resulting bad experiences with customers who complained to them when the cheap part didn't do what it should for more than 5 minutes.

This is a particular problem with relatively rare makes, there just isn't the pattern part back up, i recall back in the 70s when buying parts for many cars was a nightmare, yet get a copy of Exchange and Mart and there from German and Swedish would be lists of cheap parts for Audi Porsche Mercedes BMW etc, there's never really been the equivalent of Eurocarparts or GSF for Japanese cars (nor British cars come to that)...one of our other cars is a Prado sized Landcruiser, compared to LandRover the aftermarket spares market is abysmal, but then they tend not to need much in the way of a back up industry, you pays your money and takes your choice.

• Like 1

Hi Judd  - your perspective on this is informative and helpful - thank you.

I can buy Bosch manufactured PDF sensor sold under the Subaru part number 22627AA500 for about £70 inc VAT as a member of the public from any number of parts distributors without any trade discounts.  Subaru UK charging  £368.35 for an equivalent/same part to the trade seems beyond excessive.  However the situation as you describe it is correct, the garage went straight to Subaru to ensure that they get the right part that they know will work correctly on the vehicle and have some guarantee if it doesn't.  It is what it is, and as you say you pays your money and takes your choice, it's just that in this case I didn't get any choice.  Thanks again for your input and rationale.   

• Like 1