Advice on clutch on a GC8C WRX Import

Maaz

Hi all,

I’m new to the Subaru/project car scene and recently purchased an imported 1994/95 GC8 WRX. I’m working through a few issues and could use some advice.

Issue: Clutch/Transmission Noise

When I press the clutch pedal, I hear and feel a grinding noise. The car still shifts into gears, but it’s not smooth. On one occasion, while I was depressing the clutch, the car popped out of 1st gear into neutral. However, once in gear, it pulls well in all gears.

The gear stick also feels quite soft and has a lot of play when shifting, which I suspect might be due to stretched gear cables. (If anyone thinks this could be another issue, please let me know.)

For the clutch-related issue, I suspect it could be the clutch release (throwout) bearing, the pilot bearing, or possibly the transmission input shaft bearing. I’m hoping the transmission itself isn’t damaged, but I’m open to any suggestions if you think I’m overlooking something.

Request 1: Can anyone recommend links for purchasing the correct clutch components in the UK? I’ve seen a few things on eBay, but I’m not sure what fits the car properly. Also, while I’m at it, I’m considering upgrading some components, such as a lightweight flywheel. If anyone has recommendations for this option or knows where I should be looking, please share links or advice on which brands/models would be a good fit.

Request 2: I’d also appreciate some guidance or resources on how to build the confidence to replace the clutch myself. Videos, links, or any advice specific to this shape/model would be great. If there are any particular things I should be cautious of when doing this job on a GC8 WRX, please let me know.

Finally, if anyone feels I’m approaching the issue incorrectly or missing something, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your time, and I appreciate any advice you can offer!