WTD: Legacy GTB

Skifledanabit

Couldnt find a cars wanted thread so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

I'm after a Legacy GTB, manual or semi auto, less than 100k miles, year 2000 or later but will go for an earlier model for the right specs. (Got to be facelift model)

I would prefer rev C or D but again, will accept earlier for the right spec.

Budget of around £3.5k.

Please either reply on here with specs, pictures, price and location or PM me. Thanks.

You say it has to be a facelift... That would rule out a Rev C as the facelift was in June 2001 with the change from Rev C to Rev D.

Changes were a new design front end, so different bumper, grille and bonnet, plus new head lights. Under the hood you got smaller turbos for quicker spooling and smoother power delivery, plus revised gear ratios. There was also a new design to the ECU and some minor interior changes.

On the whole, the Rev D cars are more of a relaxed cruising machine than the Rev A-C car. However, if you want a more involved driving tool I would ignore the third generation (chassis code BH5A-BH5D) car altogether and go for a second generation (chassis code BG5A-BG5C), like mine, which were build from 1993-1998 (facelift in 1996, BG5B or BG5C).

• Like 2

Just to quickly add to that before I head out to work...

The semi-auto box came in on RevB versions of the third generation cars. With it you got the EJ206 engine with 260ps power output. Manual cars got the EJ208 with 280ps.

• Like 2

I prefer the looks of the third gen to be honest and the missus wants something a bit newer so the third gen is ideal. Im just not too clued up on what revisions are what.

So basically, im after a 3rd gen 1998 onwards, i would prefer the newer ones but for the right price/spec i will take an earlier one.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

gen3.png

So you know what you are looking for/at...

Two Gen 3 cars.  The blue car is a facelift estate (2003 GT-B S-edition) and the silver car is a pre-facelift saloon (1999 B4 RS-K).

If you look closely you can see the facelift car has a redesigned bumper, and the grille is taller with a different profile at the bottom.  The old double-L Legacy badge has also been dropped in favour of the standard Subaru stars.  The B4 badge on the pre-facelift car is only fitted to saloons so don't expect to see one on a GT-B.  The profile of the headlights has also changed but that is harder to spot, and this means the bonnet shape is different.  If you swap them over you will have a large gap.  What is easier to see is the "projector" indicators on the facelift car, where the older cars had frosted glass.  Normally on a RevD car you will see the headlight surround in black, but this one is a rare S-edition so they are silver, the same as a S401 STi.

Ignore the fact that the older car sits lower... It has aftermarket coilovers where the newer car is on standard springs and shocks.

• Like 1

Ah bugger, I didn't notice the bit about a deposit :(

Subaru only ever put "GT" badges on both the GT and GT-B which causes great confusion for cars built between 1996 and 1998 as both cars were built at the same time and look almost identical. When the Gen3 came out in 1998 the GT version was dropped so it has to be a GT-B. As they were never sold in the UK many people, including dealers, have no idea what they are so simply look at the misleading badge on the boot.

A lot of people say that an additional "Bilstien" logo/badge on the boot is there to show the "B" in GT-B, and the photos show one is fitted to this car. However, when the GT was built from 1993-1998 it was was always available with Bilstien suspension as a factory option and cars fitted with this also had the Bilstien badge, yet these cars didn't have the more powerful GT-B engine so were still just a GT. The only real way to tell is to check the Applied Model Code on the VIN plate, but that is only an issue with Gen2 cars because as I said above, they didn't make a Gen3 GT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, not sure what is happening at the moment with Madfish's, so could the collective please advise me with these adverts;

http://www.ebay.co.u...f84aed#viTabs_0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-SUBARU-LEGACY-GTB-BH5-TWIN-TURBO-Auto-with-LPG-/251427028670?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a8a37febe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-GT-2-0-TWIN-TURBO-AUTO-ESTATE-BLACK-/331102643074?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4d17416382

This one confuses me a bit, what does the VDC bit mean and how is it different to any of the other GTBs that are around?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Legacy-GT-VDC-4WD-2-0i-Auto-/380805336593?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item58a9c44e11

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Subaru VDC is Vehicle Dynamics Control - similar to traction control and stability management on other cars

They all look pretty similar - as Gambit says our resident experts would have to expand on details but I was looking at both the black one and the silver VDC to be imported as an option for the father in law