Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Gambit

3mmc.jpg

Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Motorists that sell cars privately will not be entitled to offer the “unexpired tax” incentive from October 2014, the Automobile Association has revealed. Sellers will have to claim vehicle excise duty refunds for any remaining months from the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Buyers will then have to pay road tax online, at post offices or via telephone before taking to the road. Why? Because the paper tax disc that has graced windscreens for nearly a century will soon be consigned to history. This is part of the government's plan to cut red tape and minimise expenditure. Motorists will no longer be able to glance at windscreens to confirm the tax has been paid. This could encourage unscrupulous sellers to claim that their vehicles have (say) eleven months tax remaining when they only have two. Extra tax, of course, can be worth hundreds of pounds on relatively modern vehicles that have high carbon emissions. So, to eliminate the risk of misrepresentation private buyers will know that – whatever the vehicles and whatever the prices - sellers will have to remove any tax value.
Automobile Association Emphasises Motorists' Concerns
The Automobile Association has claimed that motorists suspect that the tax disc's demise will cause problems. A poll of more than seventeen thousand revealed that seventy percent are “worried” they might drive cars that have been recently purchased by friends/relatives not knowing they are untaxed. Furthermore, another of the company's polls revealed that forty-seven percent claim that not having a disc will make them “more likely” to forget to renew. But overall its eradication is sensible. Why? Because it is simply a receipt that can be checked by the police to ensure vehicles are legal. That was fine in the past. Now, however, enforcement comes via a computerised database that automatically spits out fines to non-compliers. There is also a camera based system that scans number plates as vehicles pass and identifies tax dodgers - so relying on police officers to scan windscreens while on patrol in an outdated concept. Furthermore, motorists should not be concerned about forgetting to renew. They will, after all, still receive reminders through the post and - for the first time – be able to pay any vehicle excise duty by direct debit. Options will be annually, six monthly, or monthly.

And is it a DVLA scam to get extra revenue?

When selling the car, will we only get back tax to subsequent whole months whilst the new owner pays again from the 1st of same month?  :angry:

Clearly the refund should be for all the days paid for.

My 1st thoughts another hidden tax with in a hidden tax, you will never get what the tax left on the car is worth not that it's worth anything anyway. just free money for the government. Laughing all the way to the bank :angry:   

My issue would be when buying a car. What if you can't access the internet, you'll have to ring them up and wait around for ages to buy tax. If it's a weekend or out of office hours you can't drive the car.

To get a full refund you'd have to sorn the car at the end of the month before you sell it, then the punter can't take the car for a test drive, you can't use it at all. Who is going to do that? The DVLA will make millions from middle of the month refunds.

Cameron and his Goons must be thinking about buying a few 2nd hand cars for each other as a last Christmas present before election, and want them on the cheap. 

And 2nd that Pete I had a car I wanted to sell a couple of years ago after the scoob had come back from the engine rebuild and was told I couldn't cancel my insurance on the car I was selling as it had tax on it :( 

I can see the point in getting rid of tax discs. With maybe a free online check of tax left on the car. But to not be able to sell a car without tax will be a nightmare. I think it will do more harm than good and would like to see if this helps bring insurance premiums down at all because thats the crap they will shovel down our necks to justify it :)   

Mine runs out in june so will i be able to buy an old one for the full year or will i have to send it back in oct ?

is anyone gonna reduce the cost of the car by x amount to factor in the buyers extra outlay. For those of you with cars in the expensive tax bracket it's gonna be a nightmare having to Shell out for tax and insurance at the same time.

Stupidly i had bought 12 months at the same time as my insurance (car was untaxed) but i know most of us like to stagger it so the painnis a little easier to bare

I guess they will have to add the price on the car, I have a feeling they will get hit hard by this too but will only fall back onto the buyer to pay for it. But I think they will have there own sort of Tax they can put on it for a month with being trade