Newbie advice needed please !

firedawg

HI Folks,  :)

After selling my Boxster a month ago I realised as much as I love my Vectra I need some thing a bit quicker !

Choice is 05 both WRX Sportwagon or Legacy 3.0 Rn Sport seq Auto.

Both have FSH and both seem good value around 3k.

I know they are gonna be thirsty but the Porsche was fairly anyway so not a real concern.

I have two dogs and I am not sure they would fit into the Sportwagon and it does seem to get a bit of stick for the plain interior.

Any opinions would be gratefully received !!

Thanks

Mark

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Tough choice really that one I'd be happy to own either both very similar cars. I will let the people that own them maybe advice better than me. I've only ever had Impreza saloons. Only thing I will add is I think the Legacy's are a bit more discreet when it comes to knob heads wanting to race  :)

At risk of starting an argument, the Legacy is more civilised and aimed more at the luxury side, not to mention having a much larger boot area for your dogs.

The WRX is obviously more sporty, although the interior is less inspiring.

The Legacy won't let you down on performance, compared to many other estate cars on the road, but compared to the WRX, it will be lacking.

All depends what you want from the car really.

• Like 1

It might be worth you test driving local versions of the models then travelling to get the one you want after you have decided, many members have travelled a few hours to get the model they want

Yeah, I am used to travelling for cars - looked a the WRX sportwagon today and bought it ! Well I hope I did cause I left a deposit and I am picking it up at the weekend.

Now I need some more advice please - 109k with full Main dealer up to 100k last May so needs a service soon and I can see on the invoice the cambelt was changed at 50k but without consulting the dealer I don't know if it has been changed since !

If not what is the likely cost for this service at an indy with and without the cambelt change ?

Saying that I did manage to kock another £200 off the already reduced price.

Oh it is an 05 model.

Cheers 

Mark

naaah if there are no pictures I dont believe it :lol:

great news chum - the ££££ question is it depends on what you have done as a full pulley kit costs more than a belt but would be worth looking at if it has not been done. We have seen figures on here from 150 - 300+ but the services completed were slightly different.

we have Savage and a couple others are not too far away from you who may be able to recommend a trusted garage - FB tuning in Bucks may be a little far from you also one in Keyworth - but if you did travel what you would probably be able to do is have a discussion with the mechanic and understand what they would recommend from a servicing perspective which may justify the miles

Cheers mate, I am buying the car in Bucks so might be worth contacting the guy you mentioned.

The car does have full MD history from a Subaru garage in Kent so I will give them a bell also.

They certainly knew how to charge the guy as the cambelt service was 1200 quid on the invoice !

It sounds pretty spot on so far, should be a good platform - you might want to check all the pistons in the calipers are free, been a few of those on the forum recently you may have seen

Congratulations on the car :) 

£1200 for belts and pulleys pfft I've been quoted £280 from someone I trust :) But like jay said can vary a lot from one garage to the next.

But the car sounds like it's been well maintained so I'd have thought it was a good buy. 

Do the pulleys only need changing once ? Trouble is I didn't get chance to hammer it as much as I would have liked cause all the roads around were country lanes - mind you I think I **** the owner up a bit  ;) .

Not having had a turbo car before apart from the Mrs Figaro  :D  do you still have to let them idle after a 'spirited' drive before shutting down ?

Maybe a bit late in the day. I got 10000 mile service done, £430. All belts and oils changed at that, although I paid extra for coolant change, all at Subaru dealership as I had only just got the car. which by all accounts had been well maintained, but you never know. Seemed expensive, but cheaper to let them take the rap if it all went wrong...