Newbie advice needed please !

firedawg

Got full main stealer up to 100k and now on 109k though just phoned them and they can't find any record of the cambelt being changed at a 100k so I guess i will have to phone the owner. They want £500 for cambelt service which seems a lot - not that i will go for them anyway.

I've know of 3 people that are very close to the near 200K mark and one with 210K still running on the original engines and turbos. 2 have them have gone on to buy another newer impreza now but still own the cars. but they do look as good as new still :)  

Well finally got it - 05 WRX Sportwagon 110k with main stealer but unfortunately cambelt was not done at 100k but I can live with that. Bit different to the porsche in that like my sons mazda and his celica before I have to use the revs a bit more but still quick.

nice noise even on a standard pipe. Have to drive it for a bit then consider whether to mod ! If so what is the first and most cost effective mod ?

I will post pics when cleaned.

Cheers for advice so far 

Mark

• Like 1

Congratulations mate look forward to seeing the pictures. The noise they makes pretty amazing isn't it ;) 

And if you notice other subaru drivers will flash their lights at you or wave it's normal it's like a big family thing  :) 

• Like 1

don't look at your water temp lol, if the car hasn.t got dials in let your oil warm up way before you boot 7 bells out of it, I keep a close eye on mine before I nail it , ie oil temp, I was given advice on the oil temp by a good source & believe me it looks after your engine ;)

• Like 1

Cheers all, got it cleaned yesterday then it has started raining - not happy ! Found a few more marks after cleaning but I anticipated that as it is a 9 year old car ! So, it needs a basic service, cambelt, poss pulleys if I can run to them  and I think front pads too but hopefully that is all. As regards letting oil warm up in previous reply what are we talking - 10 mins ? ten miles ?.

I always gave it about 15 / 20 mins - 5 or so miles - the Coolant needle had been sat constantly at half way before I would let rip

pipercross, cosworth both good makes - look for one that does not need oiling to avoid issues with the MAF

If you have done a high flow exhaust system from turbo back and a hi flow filter the system should change the mixture settings to compensate to a degree but you could have it done then to set it spot on consider a high flow fuel pump though just to make sure there is enough juice getting to the engine

Right folks, having ascertained that the cambelt needs changing i think it makes sense after listening to you pro's on here to change the lot rather than just the belt where is the best place to get the kit ?

I have been advised importcarparts or whatever they are called are one of the cheapest and for £170 quid I can't seem to beat it ! Any better offers ?

I would recommend it to be done mate you're having the work done and is prone to fail. So while the belts are off worth having it done just incase it does go otherwise you have to have them done all again. I don't know many people that would re use a belt again after it's been fitted. :)

• Like 1

'As regards letting oil warm up in previous reply what are we talking - 10 mins ? ten miles ?'

I believe you hear and feel when the car is ready to go. On a cold morning I reckon around 10 mins. With mine it sounds anxious to start with, calms down a bit, then sounds like it is ready for a bit of fun.

The only thing I don't like about the sound of a Scooby is that when you are inside it you don't get to hear the full benefit of that awesome sound.