ignition module!!!!

Jay Scott

Hi, I'm having a issue trying to locate the ignition module for my s turbo!!!!! Plugs-check, leads-check, coil-check......... the coil is plugged into something but I cannot trace where is leads too, I'm almost sure it should be the missing ignition module but I am now unsure? can anyone let me know if I should in fact have  one and where it should be located on my car? Im sure this is why my  will not start. Thanks Jamie

Hi Thanks for the info but my car is a 2000 (w reg) s turbo. I don't think I have a ignition module as I cannot find it on the fire wall! I don't think I'm getting anything from the coil so this looks like me issue, but when I look on line for a replacement part the coil that's on my car at the moment looks like an earlier type? with the lead coming out the back where as the ones I can find online for my year car have a plug socket on the side! now I am confused.

The models post 97 (I think) combined the coil pack and the ignitor pack - so if you have an old coil pack on your car there will be no ignitor pack and the coils will not send a signal to the plugs

As you have stated it looks like you have an earlier coil pack fitted but... can you find the lead that should plug into the new pack if you replace it with the correct part?

old type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-90-96-FORESTER-98-98-IGNITION-COIL-Blade-Plug-Terminal-MOVEMENT-/321328841715?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AForester&hash=item4ad0b103f3

combined pack

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quinton-Hazell-Ignition-Coil-Subaru-FORESTER-2-0-1997-2002-/161179170872?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2000|Model%3AForester&hash=item258706f838

Thanks that makes a bit more sense and yes I can see the lead that plugs into the coil it disappears back down behind the intake manifold I think, I took a look at the weekend. Do you know if both these coil type have the same plug? I don't really want to buy the wrong one, but as I can't find a ignition module maybe someone in the past has put the wrong type on? I will take another look when I get home tonight.......with a tourch.

Any chance you could stick up some pictures of the coil itself, the lead hidden away down the back, and the lead that it is plugged into the coil pack.

It may be the person who fitted the incorrect coil pack managed to connect a cable to it - that may not necessarily make it the right pack or lead to connect it.

x3 basic things to make an engine go (in a common petrol engine)  - a spark, some fuel, some air.

will the engine turn over on Battery power alone when you turn the ignition key?

does the fuel pump prime and fuel flow to the engine bay?

have you got a free flow from air intake and out the exhaust - no debris or blockages?

Hi, the engine turns over like a trooper and yes I can hear the pump prime. I still need to check if I have fuel comming through from the filter in the engine bay. I dont believe I have an obstruction in the air filter but will check later. I have taken some photos of the coil and plug but cant quite take one of where it leads under the manifold. I have just noticed that I have a EJ205 engine if that helps?

mqb3n6vd9oev2u53egju.gif

1on53m4o4mipazyrmsit.gif

kmbwlb0eg2emihz8ei6h.gif

dq5rfekdpz1m179fbexl.gif

hdmeo76s3cxaa9istkzy.gif

great shots that helps a lot.

My theory - someone has tried to put an old style coil on your engine - they have used the lead as well knowing that the original correct part would not connect to the existing loom, they may well have spliced that into the loom - hopefully not, they have bolted the replacement coil pack down with the original correct connection trapped underneath.

Does the lead currently connected to the coil go anywhere? Is that the one you said is not connected to anything? If so remove the coil pack and check the lead trapped underneath, does that look like it would plug into a correct coil unit? is it still part of the loom, can you trace it?

Optimistic solution, replace the coil pack with one correct for the model, plug into the trapped lead and you get a spark

I know I said I would have to wait until Sunday but I had to take a look tonight! right it was a bit  hard to take more photos but it seems as though all the wiring to the coil I have is original and not hacked together? I  can see the wire in the photo run down behind the manifold and join into the rest of the wiring loom and none of it looks or feels like its been tampered with? so I am now really confused! could I have some odd cross over that could have a coil with the old connector lead but has the ignition module inside? 

I did find on eBay a coil that was listed to fit up to 2000 with a connector lead but was marked for a forester gt turbo EJ205? could this be what I need 

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/190904837172?nav=SEARCH

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, right a little update. I have replaced the alarm box and now have a working fob! I also have fuel and spark but I still cannot get any more than it just turning over? It just will not start.

I have removed the fuel line in the engine bay and turned it over so know I have fuel getting through and have pulled the plug from no. 1 cylinder and put another spark plug in and can see a spark when turning over!

Has anyone have any ideas? Thanks

I have just connected the two black plugs under the dash and have the error code 53. Now is code seems to have a few errors associated with it fuel being one, but as I have fuel getting through I guess that's not it but it also haso a key error issue? I have a new cut key so I'm guessing I should have a chip in it that matches the system or not as the case may be. Could this be my problem?