newbie from manchester

sweetlegacy

hello,

i am proud owner of a 2005 legacy sports tourer, 2.5 tiptronic, it is the SEn model so has all the kit.

theres loads to like about the car, the styling, awd, seats, doors, sunroof etc.

theres a fews things i dont like..the harsh ride, immobiliser, tyre noise etc.. but who really cares about these small things, the car is great and gives me a big smile everytime i sit in it.

couple of questions please.

anyone know who is selling a rectractable boot cover, searched everywhere no luck, will a 2000 MY do the job?

also the service is not due for another 5 months, but can i use 5w30 magnatec? i intend to change oil every 6k

finally, any suggestions on where i can get the newer style rubber type Wiper Blades.

kind regards

niaz

Wotcha and welcome Niaz - plenty of Legacy owners on here so Ill wait for them to answer the other questions however when it comes to windscreen wipers I have found PIAA silicon ones are the way to go - far better visibility over OEM

thats great gambit, thanks

any ideas on this...

anyone know who is selling a rectractable boot cover, searched everywhere no luck, will a 2000 MY do the job?

also the service is not due for another 5 months, but can i use 5w30 magnatec? i intend to change oil every 6k

niaz

5w 30 magnatec would be fine I always go for a JASO or API rated brand of which castrol do tend to have those  - as a member you can get a discount from Opie Oils their eBay model search engine gives a few options

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Opie-Oils/_i.html/_i.html?submit=&_nkw=%28161174144409,161174144494,161174144559,161174144566,171194827777,171194827839,181281326322,181281326323,181281326356,181281326417,181281838190%29

Thanks Gambit,

my car has done 185k but has always been serviced regularly on time.

there are no car leaks or burning oil etc, but I think the 2.5 drinks oil when driven hard, my problem is if i drive like an oldman, in normal tiptronic/auto I average 22mpg, but if Idrive it hard in sports, I get 21mpg, no brainer really.

The service on the car is not due until july, but I have decided to change oil and filter now and then every 6k.

I think the milage mean nothing really now a days just a scary number to a few of us inc myself I will admit that. But you said it's been well serviced. I find in the winter the Subaru's do tend to use more oil for some reason. But if it's using excessive amounts then i would worry and look into it more :) 

its hard to say if the car is using excessive amount, as I have only had the car for about 2 weeks, but once I carry out the oil service, I will be checking on a regular basis.

again im not scared of the high mileage, but what does scare me where oil has dropped considerably and ruined the engine, what the does the ?? Oil light do??

i did the same yesterday, my issue is two guys on here have had issues with engines finished with no oil, but the oil light did not come on!

i agree that you should never rely on the light, but surely it is there for that purpose, what happens if you have a leaking pipe as you are driving? weird

I agree don't get me wrong I have no explanation why it doesn't come on when it is low. Be nice to have a warning on it but I do use my Oil pressure gauge when the sender is working :( to keep an eye on it. Does give me a bit of warning it's getting low.

Now get posh on me, I dont have an oil pressure gauge,.lol.

I could do with a bit more investigation on this oil issue, perhaps look into different viscosity, or not driving too hard, or waiting for the engine to warm up first...loads to think about.

I always find in winter I do use a lot more oil than in summer and have known people to change the oils to a thick type oil just for winter, so that might be worth looking into, I've also known people to go to semi synthetic because full was too thin and not have any problems, but I've talked myself out of that :D

And my gauge is a bit posh it does a funky disco type light show on start up :D