Exhaust Leak

Pommy

Went for a 4 wheel alignment today and the guy doing it told me there was an exhaust leak, he said it was at the Catalyst joint. From what I can tell that's the bit just after the cat? As in the joint which is the first level bit heading to the back of the car and part coming from the engine? Does that sound right?

And would tightening the bolts fix it? Or worth just buying a new gasket and putting that in?

Had a quick look today and seemed ok but will look again later. Obviously the guy doing the alignment was right under there and said it was the joint so assuming he had a quick look at the cat as well. Hopefully nice and easy to fix

Who knows. Said it was for the power steering. Threw me a bit but then they only charge £25 and are meant to do a decent job of it. Car feels better now and not pulling to the left so no complaints yet.

I was talking to the guy before and told him that I do all my own work (tools and time permitting) and when finished the receptionist she said they would help if needed but new I did it myself. Didn't seem to try and get any business, even in buying new tyres (the back ones are cracking.) Was very impressed with the service in the end. Cheap cheerful and seemed to be interested in cars in general.

As for the leak I think it is the gasket, had a look and the cat seems in good condition, the previous owner had a new exhaust fitted so it seems a bit quick for perishing, unless they used the old gasket to save a few £.