everyone loves a slapper

stants

My !Removed! paranoia has returned after a recent oil change she's started to slap louder than before, i assume i used the same grade oil as before 10-40semi synth so i'm stumped do different brands behave in very differnet ways ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZjNC7n2LfQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The vid makes it sound a lot worse, that was after 10 min idle and a 3 mile drive :-(

Prob not far enough for it to get really hot as it's only stop start traffic

All i can think is there was a different oil in ?

Doesn't sound too bad to me compared to some I've heard. Maybe take it for a good drive and let it get properly warm before worrying about it?

Are you at the meet tonight? Might be able to get Martin or Dave to have a quick listen for you and ease your fears. The journey will get it properly warmed up too.

Be better recording it from underneath the car, what I could hear sounded fine to me. Unless the noise was intermittent I could hear like a sound of a wire fence is the only I could describe it being it. But maybe I was listening to hard :)

I had the same thing with my old uk turbo engine and after a bit of research ,found that even some expensive oils can differ in viscosity (although they might say the same thing on the bottle)

I switched from a 10w 40 millers fully synthetic to a 10w 50 millers fully synthetic which quietened it down when cold and made it totally disappear once warm .

will admit mineral oil muffles sound better than synthetic (although it doesn't protect as well) so im a bit surprised that you're getting piston slap at all .

Be better recording it from underneath the car, what I could hear sounded fine to me. Unless the noise was intermittent I could hear like a sound of a wire fence is the only I could describe it being it. But maybe I was listening to hard :)

Dunno what that is think it could be a pulley or a belt its hardly audible just the camera picks up all the sound really well i'll record later but i think it's just me being over paranoid again :-D

Sav, it allways has done, dunno if its due ro the life it's LED or because it's not been mapped for uk running and previous owner prob jut used 95ron in her ?

I know all it did before i bought her was trundle round london and to hampshire and back.

Service time in june so i'll see how she goes

My uk engine slapped when I bought it ,ran fine and even when I had it remapped to 270 hp it still drove faultlessly .

I had read something about subaru changing the composite of the pistons during 97/98 and that possibly being the cause . most (but not all admittedly) piston slappy classic imprezas do seem to be v3's and v4's .

I used to use my piston slap as a gauge. ...

soon as it quietened down I knew It was warm enough to hit the loud peddle .

im sure it's nothing to worry about , just keep the oil changes regular and continue to let it warm up and cool down.As the chairman of my local clubs classic has had piston slap since 80 k miles , it now has 170 k and 330 hp and still going strong ;-)

I've noticed on the way home that the oil pressure taking longer to get to it's normal operating range, my gauge shows between 1.4-1.8 at idle when warm so i take it the new oil is taking longer to get up to temp. Hence the slap bing more noticable.

I guess this being my 1st winter with the car i'm just finding out how she copes with the different temp ranges.

And having the new exhaust on has made me here and listen to things i haven't heard before so with all of that combined i'm prob going mad !

Heres another clipof above and below for you gambit :-D

Mine does it when it's cold or more noticable from 1st start in the morning :) I'd say nothing to worry your pretty long legs over ;)

Does sound louder than mine to be fair could hear it better on the 2nd clip. But would still call is mild slap. fresh oil once it's been bashed a bit might make it less noticeable 

I replied before you had posted the 2nd clip 

But what I said after incase you missed it 

"Does sound louder than mine to be fair could hear it better on the 2nd clip. But would still call is mild slap. fresh oil once it's been bashed a bit might make it less noticeable"

yeah was nice here but was working around the car so shorts was a big no :( but meant to be good for 2 weeks now so bonus :) 

Nick, sorry didnt even see you post, no we had the 1st west yorks one on thursday and a poorly baby and work have conspired against me on tonights meet. I'll give the car a proper run at weekemd and see how she goes

• Like 1