Mikey

Hi all . After asking around We are on the verge of buying a Forester 2.0 auto with LPG conversion 08. Mostly for the wife.

Not had one before , but after looking at Freelanders , was more sold on Subaru reliability having had a woman I know singing their praises, on her third with previous two racking up 250k+ miles.

Took a spin in it and it drives as smooth as our laid up Voyager. Not as comfy but goes thru the auto box better. The LPG intrigued us, not had one before.

Need to replace door cards and near side mirror unit, as well as the lid on the storage thing between the front seats. Had no luck with them so far.

Also no spare wheel due to LPG tank. Is is sensible to get a spare rather than rely on a can of foam, either 'real' or one of those temporary wheelbarrow jobs?

Pleased to find an enthusiasts forum and having skimmed through it, can see it is a very useful place indeed. Not just for getting help, but interesting bits and pieces to read.

Cheers all.

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

From some of the freelander owners we have on here they sound's like you made a good choice. Non bias view :D

for the parts Might get lucky with some breakers yards or good old fleebay. 

I always like to have a spare tyre personally after I managed to rip a nice size gash in the sidewall , so for me I'd rather have one than not. And happy to see you have been looking around the forums and finally joined up :)

I remember reading a AA stat that said 80% of tyre blowouts were small punctures and could therefore be fixed temporarily with foam. However I still carry a spare because sods law says you are going to be that 20% when you need the car the most. I also carry a foam thing for the sake of easiness if I do get a small puncture, don't really like the thought of changing a tyre on the side of the motorway.

As for LPG I have been in a few (all taxi's in Aus have them) and you can't notice the difference at all, changing between fuels when driving you hear a little difference when they change but no performance drop was noticeable. Have looked at getting it done my self just don't think I run enough miles

• Like 1

Welcome along.

Good choice of car.

LPG, I've been running cars with LPG for about 15yrs now, everything from a 1.4 Citroen to one of my 280bhp a Subarus. Can't fault LPG conversions and just can't see why it never took off over here like it has elsewhere in the world. Everyone moans about the cost of fuel but are sceptical when a viable alternative comes along.

Depending on make of the conversion, you do lose a little performance on gas, usually 5-10%. However, nothing beats the smile factor at the filling station.

I always carry a space saver spare, just loose in the boot and if travelling a good distance, like abroad, for example, I take a full size spare.

welcome to the club :D

I've heard good stuff about the LPG but don't do enough miles to justify it

daft question- how does it work???

will a car mapped for 99 ron run different to a std car mapped for 95 ron?

The LPG system has it's own ecu which is mapped when installed to whatever the car requires.

I had a top of the range system fitted when I first bought the car and it was setup accordingly. A couple of years later, I upgraded the turbos and such like and had the LPG ecu remapped accordingly.

• Like 1

welcome mate and welcome sounds like one sweet and economical motor you have there

dave you drive a performance impreza  stop being a tight wad you cant beet v power in your car or v power with a splash of meth as you well know :) :) :) :)

I have heard you get a 5%-10% drop in power but never thought of it as a problem, even in a performance car. When you need the extra performance, on a track or a nice twisty road, just switch it to petrol; and on the way there and back run it off the LPG and save some dosh. Best of both worlds right there.

Thanks all, advice noted both on the car and using the forum.

Obviously my first impression was right about the community here!

Replies appreciated, though I have not answered each one individually.

• Like 1