55 plate forester turbo....what to look for

david1972

Hi guys

Trying to build my knowledge up early doors here, so feel free to tell me where to go haha

Right....in probably 3 or 4 years time I will be wanting to buy a late 55 plate face lifted forester turbo (for the lower tax bracket). When the time comes, apart from the obvious (fsh, belt changes) what should I be looking out for or listening for that's different from my N/A forester?

Like i say, times on my side is no rush with this one ;)

Thanks in anticipation

Haha i like your forward planning.

Just the usual really, knocking from bottom end etc, the newer 2.5 engines had some headgasket issues i beleive so may be worth researching that,

Burning oil/turbo problems worn seals in the turbo. Blue smoke

And making sure it comes on boost properly when on test drive

• Like 1

I'd be wary of anyone who didnt let it warm up 1st before if you were going to test drive one. Definition= Pulls smoothly and strongly unlike some memebers on here :-D

Youd know if something was amiss as it would be a pig to drive and sound like an asthmatic donkey

I'd be inclined to take a diagnostic reader along but thats just me lol.

• Like 1

Yeah i bought a cheap chineese Bluetooth OBD reader from the bay. About 5quid and an android app (torque) for 1.80 or whatever, it works and enables you to read current and historic faults and clear them.

Thought i'd take a punt as it was so cheap. Some work some don't. But much cheaper than a proper tool.

Only problem is my foz has a ln OBD style port butut's not OBD haha