2014 Forester diesel engine noise

jhar

Hi

Has anybody driven or do they own the new shape Subaru Forester diesel? If you have/do, how noisy do you find the diesel engine. I purchased a new Forester diesel XC about a month ago and the engine is really noisy when accelerating. When I test drove another diesel Forester prior to purchase I didn't find the engine noise intrusive at all. However, my forester is really noisy but the Subaru garage says that its normal for the car. Though, all reviews about the boxer diesel engine says that they are quieter than other diesel engines but mine sounds like a tractor. Any thoughts comment greatly received.

Wotcha and welcome - sorry, not had any experience with that particular model however I would go back to the dealer and ask for a test drive in the original to do back to back comparisons then point out to the staff how you think they differ

Would agree with Jays suggestion above, get them compare a couple more to yours so you can conclude if yours is abnormal. The diesels are known to have some odd faults & to be honest Subaru are doing a poor job in terms of new vehicle quality & dealer quality on handling of customer issues & warranty, & as you have just invested heavily make um earn the money & don't quit till you are 100% happy ...

Hi. It sounds like the same problem I have got with my outback diesel. Is it a knocking noise when cold or when the engine is under load? If so I have been told the injectors have to be replaced at £800 each + labour

Could be one of quite a list of possible faults, when under warranty it needs you to be ruthless with the dealer if necessary to get it sorted.

@sparkymll - If not under any warranty you ideally need go to a good independent with diesel boxer knowledge as dealer pricing is beyond belief on these sort of jobs. Could be injectors but ideally need be sure as parts are expensive so don't want be buying unneeded parts if you footing the bill ...

Injectors did have a recall at one point, personally I think a lot of noise related issues is due to poor calibration/settings from the ECU & retune functions ...

injectors are prome to making noise. my previous 2002 2.5 d4d toyota hilux was makling lots of noise when cold, like a bag of spanners. i have driven diesels since 1980. what i did with my diesels was adding about 300ml 2 stroke oil (used for 2 stroke engines) on a full tank. this really helps the noise but more it keeps your diesel in good health :)