fitted apexi filter now no tick over ( Update )

oldmanscooby

1998 subaru impreza sport 2.0 litre non turbo

fitted new apexi air filter today

started up car now i have no tick over

took the apexi off and refitted original airbox but still have no tick over

car starts but just fades out unless i rev it but on a test run it was misfiring badly

any ideas as to why dismantling the original airbox and taking off the maf sensor and replacing filter with brand new apexi this problem as arisen

even with original airbox problem the same

prior to this just done a fault less 250 mile journey no problem

any help appreciated as car unusuable

no fault codes

wondering if its worth getting some maf cleaner

ran to somerset from sussex and back no problems this morning about 250 miles

took off old air filter box when i got back cos new apexi had arrived

disconnected maf took it off 

refitted maf with apexi cone on

started it up no idle just cutting out

Apexi Update

After trials and tribulations with fitting etc took scooby for a run and the apexi never lived up to its promise

low down acceleration not so good plus exhaust appeared louder and booming and no get up and go

came home dug out original airbox which as a performance panel filter in it polished out the inside and refitted it.

Did an ecu reset

out for another test run and improved acceleration, tick over and exhaust note appeared better not so booming just a little cackle on over run

been a learning curve which i am glad to have been involved in as now i personally am convinced stock air box and performance panel filter my best options

thanks for all the input throughout

job done case closed m lord  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

it may well be the case that the Apexi is more suited to more extensive mods but it goes to show the signification investment made in designing the original airbox has proven worthwile

i reckon your right on that

i gave it a comparison test based on running the same route twice with each fitted so maybe stock airbox and performance filter works better for me running standard engine except straight through exhaust already fitted when acquired vehicle

going to do window motor on passenger side and change two front spot lamps prior to mot and hopefully run it learn with it service it enjoy its potential

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mods need supporting mods most of the time but what ever works for you my mate i really like panel filters people seem to think its just the same as stock thats not the case i had a k&n tray filter on my old gsi and it loved it better then the pipercross stright feed  

• Like 1

went back to a sport panel filter inside stock airbox

on two identical runs, same roads etc the panel filter was more responsive than the apexi

only mods are straight through exhaust unknown make as on car when i got it

burbles and pops on overun so quite good otherwise stock ( at the moment )

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

sourced the right inlet adaptor for the new apexi laying dormant in its new box

considering giving it a second fitting as before it was bolted direct to maf

maybe this time round with new better quality gaskets it might show some improvement

my theory is i have a fairly free flow exhaust fitted so the whole idea way back was just to improve the breathing without other mods

will reset ecu after fitting

I was always lead to believe that n/a engines needed a certain amount of back pressure to work at their best .

I've even seen a few tdo4 powered scoobs lose torque with a 3" decat and cone .

will be interested in the out come as I haven't tried any back to back tests with induction .As I didn't want to open up my turbo'd scoob when I fitted a cone filter until it was" mapped in" , but I have experienced a lack in back pressure causing a loss in power with a n/a engine

the exhaust on when i bought car as standard headers cat converter a small 12 inch < silencer > then a straight through back box exiting 3.5 inch rear pipe so id assume not completely straight through so with some back pressure

originally fitted apexi and on two identical runs it ran better without it but that was with apexi bolted direct to maf wheras i can now use a short 76 mm id silicon hose connection between maf and filter 

this leads me to wonder if it would make any difference

if not apexi will be sold and idea shelved