straight through.

ouch

don't thing you'll gain much for the full system, I should sound nicer, but I don't think you will get the burble.

I think the sport is a 2" system, if you fit a 2.5 or 3" system, you will lose back pressure and thus lose torque

Ok pal cheers for that would u rekon b worth doing then its costin me 160 from front of cats to back box. Dont wana do it if not going do much but if i get a nice sound thats good lol only ever messed about with back boxes before.

You will get an EML light on the dash to say that there is no cat, either a remap or a ecu reset will get rid, i would recomend Toyo sports tbh as cobra is really expensive especially for fitment on a Non turbo well in the £370+ mark for cat back.

I had it done but after the first cat so one is left in. Has gone little louder and does sound ok. So no lights have come on which is good coz would have done my head in. What our these unequal headers iv heard lil bit of em but wasnt sire what was. And how much do these cost if u have any ideas cheers

it's a company called borla That do them, seen some of there stuff on mx5's sounded ok and quality looked half decent. Just had a check and they retail in the states for $500 ish so about 350 plus shipping.

The unequal length headders are wahts used to extract the exhaust gasses from the engine to the exhaust, as the subaru is a flat 4 engine layout the manifold comes out either side of the block as you look at it with the turbo cars one side is shorter tban the other to take into account the route to the turbo.

With the n/a cars this isn't needed so they come out and go into a y shape to the cats and the 2 sides are the same length. So no throb from the exhaust but equal length have smother gas extraction so in theory better bhp

Sorry if this os teaching you to suck eggs :-D

No thats great pal come on here to learn n try to help lol i will have to look into this then i have a custom exhaust place from me so myt nip down n screen shot what u have saod n see of he can do out with that. Cheers buddy

• 10 months later...

this might be daft question,

but can i change to just unequal length headers without changing the rest of the exhaust and get the burble?

or do you need a full new exhaust system?

i like that mine isn't loud and goes by without causing to much hassle but i would like a little bit of the subaru noise 

also i read it makes the bhp less is this correct?, and if so how much would be lost from 158bhp?

• Like 1

Not entirely sure but as yours doesn't have an up/down pipe arrangement you'll need specific headers so wouldn't think the turbo headers would bolt straight up without something between them and the cat.

Have a Google for n/a headers see what it brings up

From a little re-search it looks like you can fit unequal headers,but it is also recommended to replace cat back or at least the rear silencer too. If latter not done then a decent back section and centre section,good panel filter be it K&N or cosworth will help.

I just put a panel filter and cobra exhaust,the difference is quite surprising regarding noise. I already had a quiet burble,but now far more distinct. It is noted though,not being t/c you wont quite get the same burble noise.......of the wrx/sti

iirc your zaust is 2.25",as long as the flange is the same size(matches bolt holes) and have new gaskets at the ready then going to a 2.5" should be issue free. Double check though!,i know i can go to 3" full system from my 2.5" diameter pipe as the flanges are the same size.(example)............i am not though,dont want too loud or risk any loss in back pressure without mapping(unsure if i would or not loose pressure).

I recently went up to a 3" cat back system and it made the burble a lot deeper. I have ran into a slight problem though. The flange on the old downpipe has been bent into a concave shape so the new centre section doesn't sit flush. Luckily for me I have the decat downpipe ready to go on so it's only temporary. I've had to use a bit of gun gum to seal the joint for now.

About the back pressure Ven, in my numerous chats with Duncan @racedynamix he has explained to me that the turbocharged engine doesn't like back pressure hence removing cats and silencers gives quite a considerable power gain. Also from my experience with n/a cars they need the back pressure to produce a decent torque figure.

I have a video on here showing the zorst burble with the 3" cat back system and its very distinct but not very loud at all. I'd recommend going up to a 3" as I went from 211hp to 234hp just from the centre and rear exhaust.

• Like 1

When i get around to a map,it will be Duncan and 3 port,already checked out prices etc with him.

Thats a good return on hp is that :)  ,on  the newage (well some apparently get away with it) get and eml light after removing a cat so needs to be mapped out. I have heard it spools 500rpm earlier ...............only a good thing for me :)

I nearly went 3" but was concerned with noise so stuck with 2.5" (for my requirements i dont think the 0.5" will make much difference tbh on the bugeye as keeping the td04 as an every day drive). Going to get a cobra centre section next,after that maybe cat removed and map.

No immediate plans tbh as happy right now,dont want to burn it all out quick,get bored then end up changing car(has happened previous with me) . Also fell into the trap of ever ending mods=££££ and does not go down well with the boss :lol:

Have to be a sneaky sneak!!! Well other than the spoiler........... ;)

Thanks for the advice :)

May not need the 3 port, mines now boosting max at 1.1 on a two port, Duncan had it with him ready to Fit said it would have been a waste of money as everything was working ok.

Just tell him what you want from the map and he'll know what you mean, is asked for a more usable powerband. I think my 380cc injectors were holding me back in the big hp gain but still convinced the roller reading is low. Gonna have it on again at a different dyno