Doors damaged - need info

Hi New Member Here, I've got a Imprezza WRX 5dr Hatch 2003 and last week a very large Roe Deer T-boned the passenger doors - we have seen some second hand doors on eBay but they are off a 2002 bug eye hatch - does anyone know if they would be compatible? Any information or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi welcome to S.O.C 

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm picking your post to bits I don't mean it too but we class the Hatch as the 2008 all others are Salons just wanted to point that out to save any confusion. And the estate looking Imprezas are referred to as wagons. 

Anyway back to the original question there shouldn't be any difference with the doors the as they are the same car really. When I get back I will double check for you as I have a bugeye and a blobeye in the garage I will check he hinges and have a quick measure up to double check but should fit the same. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Gambit - chap who has the doors on eBay says they are different internally - not sure if they are a good buy as we might end up with 2 doors for my wagon which are no better than the damaged ones!

Well I've had a look I can't see any difference at all other than the door cards being different if thats what he means. All the bolts and hinges are in the exact same place . :) So I would still think they would fit fine. 

I've never swapped one but doesn't look too hard if I'm honest I would say the most difficult part would be the wires for the windows and locks to sort out. Unless it is just the door itself and you need to replace the glass and fit the door I would say be tricky and time consuming swapping the glass over. 

Have to replace whole door both front and back - back one is the most damaged as the deer 'fell' down a grass bank into the side of the car and has bent an internal strut. To get it done professionally with new doors is between £1500 to £1800 and unfortunately my car is only worth just over £2000!

Pfft yeah I would do it it myself :D 

And I know how much damage they can do I've seen something as small as a badger write a car off. What did you say after it happened "Oh Deer" ..... I will just get my coat. 

Actually I didn't say much - was a bit shaken up by the whole thing - but consider myself very lucky as if it had jumped out in front of the car I wouldn't have had very many choices as it was on a blind bend on a hill with no side protection and I suspect it wouldn't have turned out well at all! Thanks everyone for all your help I may post photos if it turns out OK or be back for more advice if it all goes pear-shaped!

• Like 1

I can imagine I know I nearly filled my undergarments when a pheasant flew into my side window when I wasn't expecting it. 

And you know where we are welcome back anytime so please feel free to ask away :)

and we always like to see the results of before and afters :) 

hi and welcome to the site ;) not personally changed door on a subaru but have done it on a rover coupé and it was just a case of hanging the hinges and reconnecting the wires but even those should be pretty straight forward as on the rover it was just a case of 1/2 turn on the "plug" and pull to remove the reinstall is just reverse of above

Thanks for your advice 4758nigel - Hubby has chatted to a few Subaru garages and they seem to think it is not too difficult so he may give it a go, but he also got a price to have the doors fitted for us as a back-up plan!

Wotcha and welcome - you shouldn't have any issue changing the doors over - and interestingly you have your first project thread topic, dont forget your camera ;)

if you take the door cards off and other bits of trim, the wires should just be on connectors, disconnect the wires, remove the rubber grommets and pull the wires out, then loosen the 4 hinge bolts, once the door hinges move and are loose, remove the bolts fully (don't remove the bolts straight away, the hinges will be 'stuck' to the door frame) (a mate was fitting a new steering wheel and I told him to do the same, he knew best though and took the nut off completely, when trying to pull the old wheel off, he was using all his strength and the wheel finally came free and hit him straight in the face!!!!!)