Handheld OBD2 readers

Petrolhead159

Evening all

what hand helds OBD2 metres are you guys using?

mine clears faults fine but doesn't read all codes for some reason, see a nice Snap On at the garage today but don't really fancy spending a grand on one.

Like the idea of the Live readings, could be handy!

cheers 
Aaron

Sorry to hijack, but I want an OBD for my 03 Forester. Please can people posts links to ones I could buy as have not a clue about what I need!

Ta

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

well the one i have is an Autel MS300 & i would say spend a little more & get a better unit. as i say it clears faults but doesn't always read them properly & most of the time comes up with NA 01/01

Some cheepo chinese dongle and torque profrim the app store, all in cost about a tenner. Works and the torque app is great to have on phone. Does all kinds. Unfortunately won't work on my foz as not odb2

Thanks Bitman, thats a better unit than the one i have, liking the live info.

when there is a fault, does it display it as a code & description or just code, so you have to flick through the book?

• 2 weeks later...

just had a play with my new DL319 & really impressed, much better than my old unit.
simulated a fault by unplugging the air box sensor, ID'd & reset it fine, the live info is pretty interesting.

only thing it has trouble with is the vehicle info section, it just says incompatible which I'm taking it thats because its a SG (my other unit did read the VIN)

It could just need a firmware update but not too worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just plugged my OBDII reader in and it's given me the following code:

P0340 camshaft position sensor "A" circuit

Anyone able to enlighten me please? [emoji32]

Cheers mate....just got to locate the !Removed! thing now lol

I've cleared the code though, so hopefully got blank canvas if it happens again.

Quite relieved there was only the 1 error code [emoji41]

Found it in the engine bay no bother thanks to gambits manuals [emoji106]

It's a bit grimey and some of the plastic casing round the cable had shrunk back, exposing some of the wires. Given it a good prod in case it was loose and pulled the casing back round it. A watch and see job now [emoji41]

Not sure if the standard stuff is as it leaves a residue behind. And wd40 sell a specific contact cleaner, if you have a maplins close they sell a quick drying contact cleaner, and I'm sure halfrauds will have something similar. I wouldn't worry about doing it today see how she runs and just attack it next time or if the code comes back

• Like 1

In my experience most electrical/sensor faults are merely dirty contacts and simply unplugging and reconnecting the appropriate connector is often enough to clear the problem for a short while. I always clean my connectors with spray carb/brake cleaner and dry with comprssed air before spending on new sensors etc. Its easy and cheap as changing some sensors can be an expensive game. I also use a smear of vaseline on the connectors to prevent corrosion. Just dont use copper grease as it is conductive and speeds corrosion between disimillar metals when electrical current flows.

• Like 1