bugeye will not start after upgrades HELP

Good to hear @Tlag was t the jap show. we got 13.7secs at 99mph well 98.75 on my brothers 2nd run. we met 2 nice lads up there one with a blob eye and the other a classic.

good couple of lads we raced the blob eye twice and this is why my bro wants more out of his as because the blob eye has had a full decat system just the up pipe left and a blow of vale and a remap and made 261bhp at the wheels. my bro has had crap loads done to it producing 279.4 at wheels 354.4 at flywheel.

and 1st run was my brothers 1st run up the strip same as the guy in the blob eye they never done it before. both had a **** start and my bro was a slight bit behind till about half way and took him and finished with about half a cars length in front. and the 2nd time they race each other guy in the blob eye jumped the lights but we still could not catch him and was behind about half a cars length the whole way this is why my bro wants more as was a tad disappointed for the time and money put in.

not sure if I have told you the mods but we done a lot new vf34 turbo, full exhaust, typhoon induction, jdm sti intercooler, sti mani with pink injectors and tumbler delete kit, remap, new head gaskets new oil and filter, lightened fly wheel and exedy organic clutch and sti mounts.

we no our reaction to the green light is crucial but both was same apart from the false start and for the money put in we thought we would at least have a car and a half in length. in the day both of them did 4 runs 2 against each other and my bro smashed a ep3 civic and this is where his 13.7 time came from best of his runs.

I asked him what sort of power he would like and he said at least the 300bhp mark but would like to no if he can get uprated gearbox and diff as when doing the launces at the strip something will eventually give and he don't want this worrie just a nice whack of power but the car to hold up strong.

the car is at 1.6bar of boost so about 21psi if my maths is correct so room for more boost but will the engine take it (wa mapped by jolly green monster at surrey rolling road) .we will hopfully be gong to the japshow finale if your gonna be there Tlag come have a ganders,

also I did try and make a build thread but don't no how to add the images        

Sound's like you had a good day out and the power and times aren't to shabby imo

Easiest way to add pic's off your phone would be the Tapatalk app .

Of the p.c would be through a photo hosting site like photobucket .

Is the car in full trim ?

If so what about getting rid of a few un needed bits .

As for gearboxes blobeye boxes tend to handle a bit more power . Or you can buy uprated straight cut cogs (from the likes of lateralperformance) if you've got a spare £3k.

Most used option would be a 6speed sti box (sub £2k if fitted yourself)

As for diffs if yours is a wrx r160 set up you can upgrade to the r180 set up . Which consists of bigger hubs , thicker shafts and a stronger rear diff .

cheers savage im trying to upload pics using the add image on the thread builder but no luck and I have never used photo bucket but would like the pics to be visible in the thread.

we herd from a couple Subaru people like Rodgerclarke and jolly green monster the boxes are ok for 350bhp max and then **** starts happening and even worse if your doing launches.

we was setting of at pod at like 3000 to 4000 revs as seem to be the most effective but never done it before so did not have a good rpm to start with so was a learning curve.

we do all the work our selfs as im a mechanic and me bro knows his basic way around a engine but we like to come on here for the help of you guys and some people have tried and tested this stuff and can give good help.

would a swap from his 5 speed to sti 6 speed be a simple straight swap ie can we use his gear linkage and are the flanges for the prop shafts the same or would we need the sti prop shaft.

will have a look at the lateralperformance web site now as he will have some spare cas as selling his other bugeye wagon    

Gambit or someone might have a link for how to upload the pics to photobucket and paste the img link to here .

Easiest way for 6speed conversion is to google your gearbox number to find the ratio. Then locate a 6 speed with a matching ratio and retain your rear diff and shafts .

If you intend to retain the 5 speed clutch slave , clutch kit , flywheel and starter you can as they're compatible . the 6speed clutch is slightly bigger dia so will handle a bit more power but not necessary .

you'll need the 6speed ....

Box

linkage

cradle

Prop

and diff with matching ratio to the box (if yours doesn't match or you fancy something with a shorter or longer ratio)

As for doing the work yourself I'm much the same and have a build thread on the forum too .

savage I thought so and do you no what the factory boost is set to iv herd its 1.5 bar but noo 100% on this. just wondering as we are on 1.6bar and want to no if our mapper has left it at standard boost levels.

with our current set up what would you recommend we do for us to hit the 300 bhp mark

Standard boost from the factory is 0.7 to 0.9 bar pending on model and year, unless you mean boost cut (which im unsure of tbo)but the mapper normally raises that whilst increasing the boost during mapping.

The only other things that hold boost back is some version map sensors .as my 97 is only good for 1.7 (although I think some newage ones are good for 3bar)

I normally deal in flywheel hp not wheel hp and my 2ltr forged cdb is running 320 hp @1 bar and my brvs v1 sti is running 342 hp @ 1.2 bar.

But both scoobs have forged pistons and sti cams (higher lift) . So just adding boost isn't necessarily the best way to increase power and certainly doesn't increase reliability .

If you're running the standard wrx cams and pistons they'll probably be your limiting factor during your previous mapping session

.simon (jgm) would know what power their capable of but, I wouldn't have thought you'd get past 400hp@ the fly without them melting.

Savage your spot on fella we had ours mapped by jgm and it was mapped to 354.4 at the flywheel and like I said the boost is at 1.6bar so if what you say is correct and factory boost Is 0.7 to 0.9 then jgm has upped the boost. we did ask what it would be capable and he said that with the mods we done and the vf34 that the 3rd best they have had in the uk and said a new turbo has paid of well.

Also spoke to my bro the other day and showed him the lateral performance website and he said he would be happy to go to that far as he wants more power but don't want to blow the engine or box. I am going to look deep into the best stroker kits for the buck out there I no I can look at rodgerclark, cosworth,mahle, and lateral p but do you no any others that are any good and not rip of prices.

do you think being our second time taking the heads to fit the new parts it would be worth port and p the head and a set of road cams as the cams will be coming out any way. cheers again for your help   

Few things to consider when planning the rebuild and deciding

What power are you aiming for .

6 speeds are cheaper and can handle 500 hp, I think racedynamics runs one in his 650 hp time attack scoob .

They also drive better off track

Semi Closed deck blocks generally won't go much past 450hp @ fly , without being "pinned" .

Closed deck blocks are normally used for bigger power builds , as they have more meat between the bores

5 speed exedy pink box clutches are normally good for 400hp@ the fly .so if it's not a daily driver you might want to fit a twin plate or paddle clutch .(pending on power target)

Head and cam wise you might be better off fitting some jdm sti big port heads or looking into avcs .

I wouldn't bother with a stroker kit if you've got a decent engineer and your handy with a spanner .

As most kits include ...

2.5 ltr nitraded crank (to increase throw and displacement to 2.1 )

Acl big end and main bearings

Standard length I beam rods

And stroker pistons ,which are about 2mm shorter than standard (to stop them poking outta the block face)

I got my mahle pistons from "advanced automotives" .

my Brian crower sport compact rods came from the states "real street performance" but bear in mind you might get caught for import taxes ,if the invoice is on the outside of the box[emoji6]

I am just on my laptop and tried to create a thread and at the bottom it had add image but it failed to load it and then tried at the top of the page like in this box im typing now just above it has a green box and if the mouse goes over it it says image that's how I have tried may sound a bit dumb.

Just had a big talk with my bro and he wants the massive kick in your seat and would like to hit the 450bhp mark at the wheels and 500 would be spot on if we can do this on our budget and would be a achievement for him and me to hit 110mph at 1/4mile if we can so has given me the job of finding out what is needed. he basically has said 5k and where power comes he wants reliability so a strong box and props shafts and drive shafts.

we have looked at crower cams before we done the other mods as was directed by rcm that doing the mods we have just done would be a better power gain for the same amount of cash we was willing to spend on the cams.

with his figure in mind we know we need either a sti 6 speed box or a straight cut box at least 1st and 2nd.

and when I say stroker kit it was just a example as I think we would go for the strongest but best value for money in each part like your rods,pistons,crank, bearings, and all gaskets.

he likes the idea of cams and heads as they will be taken out anyway.

would his vf34 be good for 400bhp at the wheels or would he need bigger

also what about his 2.25" exhaust would this be ok for the 400 or to restrictive

and the jdm sti top mount whice we have herd is good for 400bhp but not sure if that's at the wheels or flywheel.

any way if you could give us you opinion that would be good and will also be giving rodgerclarke a call in the morning

The exhaust would have to be changed and the tmic (good for just over 400 @ the fly ) switched for fmic .

Have you decided what block you'll be using ?

Pinned scd , cdb (stroker) or a pinned 2.5 ltr ?.

Mabye a ecu upgrade with anti lag and launch control , once the mechanicals can take it

[emoji6]

Hi savage made a call to rodegrclarke today as my bro is serious abut the 400whp now and just got a fiat sequento abath for a run around and we will be getting it Saturday all the way to Coventry from the isle of wight.

Rodgerclark service is amazing and have helped us a fair whack.

we have previously spoke to mike and was happy with his service and today spoke to tim whos help was also gr8 and has advised us no to run that sort of power on our ej205 122k block with new pistons and crank and rods it wouldn't do to bad but will eventually give in and pointed us in the way of getting a sti short block completed that will run 400whp ok and will be new.

they are looking into it for us as for the turbo,sti tmi,exhaust,injectors, as these have just been purchased also what will be the best option for a gearbox which they think a sti 6 will be ok.

going to try and sort a thread out now of how its gone so far so and tips on uploading the pics

cheers luke     

No problem fella , just don't rush in and do plenty of research as there's loads of options and retailers .

Roger clark is a quality outfit but quite expensive [emoji6]

Although you should be able to reclaim some funds on your current engine

I'll have a cdb and a sti 6 speed gearbox up for sale shortly .still in the car atm so can be heard/ driven.

I'll have a squint at your build thread later .

All the best

clive