Cheap Turbo blankets ?

Has anyone used one of the cheap turbo blankets off eBay ?

Ideally to fit a tdo5 16g with a 7cm hotside .

I don't want to spend a fortune on one due to hopefully upgrading the turbo next year . intake temps are good but, the fmic pipework over the turbo is getting warm and any little helps [emoji6]

Even a cheap one should help surely ?

I would defo prefer to buy a tried and tested one [emoji6]

as I don't want a cheap Chinese bbg waiting to happen under the bonnet [emoji4]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers for that pete might give one a go then [emoji106]

As although the pipework from fmic to throttle body is nice and cool[emoji41]

the turbo to fmic pipework that passes over the turbo hotside, is to hot to touch after a spirited drive [emoji6]

Let us know what you end up with, when I had the exhaust repalced they removed the heat shield so I'm looking at putting something on to replace it but some of them are silly money

Sent from my SM-T210

Did a bit of hunting about and found this is the one I bought. Worked great and reduced heat soak a lot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270846649168?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you haven't I would also wrap your down pipe if it has no neat shield. I used this stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-5m-Titanium-High-Temp-Exhaust-Heat-Wrap-10-Stainless-Steel-Ties-/320957452109?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aba8e0f4d

• Like 1

Cheers chap [emoji106]

Will admit I'd been eyeing up slightly cheaper ones [emoji5]

But as I said before I'd prefer to use one that's already tried and tested [emoji6]

I've already wrapped my haywood n scott upipe and cusco downpipe in that itchy !Removed! lol and have been toying with the idea of lagging the fmic pipework as well .

The downpipe does have a small heatsheild which was put on with the exhaust fitting, considering the place sells heat wrap and turbo gaskets I don't know why they didn't try and upsell me some !

I've only got a td04 on how much heat does it produce compared to the bigger ones ?

How easy is it to wrap with the pipe on the car ?

Sav, have you priced up getting it all ceramic coated ?

Sent from my SM-T210

I' m glad I just read this thread. I hadnt given the FMIC pipework a thought as it passes over the turbo.

Something else to add to the list. :rolleyes:

Just came across this; looks the exact same thing but cheaper. from the same part of the UK too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-TURBO-BLANKET-HEAT-SHIELD-COVER-T3-TURBOS-Z0929-/230925609599?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35c43d2a7f

• Like 1

I've just bought the one in your link tlag seems worth a go for under £50 [emoji6]

Thanks for everyone's input [emoji41]

I'll let you all know about fitment and quality once it's here and fitted [emoji106]

• Like 1

heard mixed things about turbo blankets, although relieving the engine of the high temps they put more stress on the turbo as they run hotter, be worth posting your results though mate as im curious.

Having thought about this, it sounds about right. For that reason, I think I will put heat wrap around the intercooler pipe that goes above it, rather than a turbo blanket. My IC setup has a temp sensor so I will run it without anything to start with and then wrap it to see what difference there is.

Was speaking to my old man about this last night as he used to work with huge turbos, he reckons that a water and oil fed turbo should be ok with a jacket on as it's less susceptible to over heating.

Using one on an oil fed turbo you may over heat the oil and cook the innards

I had thought the same adam as the current turbo is a tdo5 being water cooled and oil fed . I know that hot gasses move quicker therfore expelling out of the zorst sooner ,flowing better and making room for more gasses quicker

I'll eventually fit a bigger turbo which will probably be just oil fed/cooled and sell the blanket on , as I'll knock up a reverse inlet manifold to shorten the fmic pipework .so it won't pass over the bigger turbo then anyways

Well it was a bit awkward to fit due to the scooby set up but , not because of the actual blanket . It seems to be good quality and after a spirited drive the turbo outlet fmic pipe is much cooler , as I can keep my hand on it now (rather than scalding myself on it )

post-1399-140282976461_thumb.jpgpost-1399-140282977537_thumb.jpg

My intake temps were much better since fitting the hdi fmic but now the air temp going into the cooler should be lower I'd imagine the intake temps into the throttle body will be better still [emoji6]

• Like 1

Nice I will get one looks like a clutch slave cylinder has now beat the turbo blanket to being bought 1st :(

And I can see what you had a hard time getting it on that plumbing couldn't have sat more in the way if you wanted it too :)

How much do you want for it ?

And is it better you think to change the slave and the master cylinders at the same time ?

I'm feeling it might be wise move as it's all done then. Still not sure if to get new or 2nd hand though. 

I'd have to double check in my parts boxes as I can't remember if the spare clutch slave I've got is a five or six speed one.

Dunno what they sell for tbo bud

If it's a 5 speed one and your stuck (cos I like to keep a few spares ) tenner + post ?

As for changing the clutch slave and master cylinder at the same time ..

I wouldn't think so as they run off separate reservoirs and are used for different tasks during driving .

Wouldn't hurt to refresh the brake fluid and upgrade any lines to braided (if not done recently)

• Like 1

Oh right didn't know that thanks for the heads up mate. I thought they all came from the same one, so the chances are low of both going at the same time then you think :) . I changed the fluid yesterday hoping it would sort the rough gear change out but since doing it the clutch is really low changes gear better than it did but clutch is only about an inch from the floor before it disengages again then sticks then flicks up. I've bled the crap out of it nearly half a tub of fluid I've pushed through yesterday trying to sort it thinking it was air locked. I've even bought a proper brake and clutch bleeding kit today. But I'm sure it's the slave cylinder only explanation I have :(