wear is common because drivers do not adjust their driving technique to the requirements of a four wheel drive car.

Harryburgundy

As quoted from Honest John's review of Series 1 Impreza

clutch wear is common because drivers do not adjust their driving technique to the requirements of a four wheel drive car.

As I newbie to 4WB I haven't got a scooby what he means, what am I missing?

Carl

Guessing as there's more rotational mass after the clutch you should just be more sympathetic with it. I imagine they are built to cope though otherwise the internet would be awash with people complaining how weak impreza clutched are

I would say it does happen. But I would say through the years I have seen as the biggest problem is the general care of the car. People not letting it warm up enough regular oil changes or my fav people playing around with the boost without having it mapped or done by someone who knows what they are doing. 

Mmm...I kinda read that new-to-4WD drivers need educating as to proper clutch control/gear changing vs non 4WD cars. Must admit that I haven't got it right yet (getting used to a new car?) and my changes are not always super smooth. Slow and purposeful

, is that what is meant?

living at a traffic light on a hill, 90% of the drivers are using the clutch to keep the car stationary (moving forwards and backwards all the time till the traffic light goes green) slipping the clutch slightly.  :o  or even worse stalling the engine when moving from the brake to the accelerator with their right feet and dropping backwards a couple meters.

where are the decent drivers who are using the handbrake to hold the car stationary? :huh:

I've read engine/lower gear braking - as in changing down at higher revs to slow the car - is a big no no in AWD cars due to the extra strain on the transmission. I don't know how true that is but I've not done it since getting my Impreza in case.

But as Gambit days it's more down to general care of the car rather than changing your driving style for AWD that causes issues. I wouldn't worry about it mate ;) apart from the above I've not read anything else you shouldn't do in a AWD compared to a 2 wheel drive car. Quick standing starts will wear the clutch quicker I should imagine than I a 2WD car but as long as you don't do too many of those you shouldn't have any problems I don't think.