Legacy Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler

flybywire

I am going to be towing a caravan with my Legacy 3.0 Spec B 2006.  I would like to fit an Automatic transmission Oil cooler.  Has anyone done this job and has anyone recommendations for a model and where it can be purchased?  The Hayden brand appears on a search from Google but appears to be only available from  america.   Any brands, companies in the UK recommended?

• 2 weeks later...

Transmission cooler fitted.  I ended up  using a Mishimoto universal cooler  ordered from a firm in Worcester - ordered one day arrived the next morning for £50.00.  I mounted it next to the power steering cooler at the front of the air con radiator.   Run the two rubber pipes (i needed an extra 1 metre 3/8" length and a barbed pipe connector) to the Automatic oil filter behind the Battery.  Disconnect the top pipe and attach the cooler to the rigid pipe and the pipe going to the filter.  Top up with fluid as required.  For extra effect I  purchased two 92mm computer fans from Maplins which I mounted on the cooler.  These I linked to the two main fans at the control box which can be found underneath the air intake.  

Transmission cooler fitted.  I ended up  using a Mishimoto universal cooler  ordered from a firm in Worcester - ordered one day arrived the next morning for £50.00.  I mounted it next to the power steering cooler at the front of the air con radiator.   Run the two rubber pipes (i needed an extra 1 metre 3/8" length and a barbed pipe connector) to the Automatic oil filter behind the battery.  Disconnect the top pipe and attach the cooler to the rigid pipe and the pipe going to the filter.  Top up with fluid as required.  For extra effect I  purchased two 92mm computer fans from Maplins which I mounted on the cooler.  These I linked to the two main fans at the control box which can be found underneath the air intake.  

Any photos flyby?

Should have taken some I know.  Will take some and post.  Interesting to note that just by the 'feel test' that, with the fans operating,  the outlet pipe is cooler than the inlet.  Time will tell if it actually makes a difference.

Found it too difficult to get any decent photos but did do some readings using the wireless OBD11 - Towing the caravan results in a rise in water temperature of between 8-10 degrees for the same speed and RPM - I used 60 MPH as the base speed.  Increasing RPM but travelling at same speed (changing gear) results in a 2 degree difference overall.  Driving without caravan the temperature is around 89 C with caravan towed around 97 - 101.  Would have liked to have done the same exercise with the ATF oil but the OBD reader does not allow me access to the data.

Am interested to see such a rise in temperature with the heavy load bearing in mind that the RPM is no different.   Anyone got the physics on this?  Interestingly enough, the temperature gauge in the car does not alter at all!