Boost solenoid help

Hello all I wonder if anyone can help or has experience with this I have bad boost surge on off on off on off on off , thought I had a boost leak but checked every were ,I have cleaned my solenoid a couple of times ,I'm going to change it for a new one ,as you might have seen I have my eye on a Perrin one ,but it's a 3 port not a 2 but I don't want to have to buy twice can I run a 3 port until I get my remap at the end of year ,can you run a 3 port in 2 port mode and can anyone recommend a solenoid lol

I would just get a standard replacement but I will be upgrading the turbo at some point ,but I have read that the 3 port system is better more accurate ,and better for tuning mapping is this a sales gimmick or true??

Or is the oem one just as good ???

Or would it be better for me to put my exhaust on get the 3 port solenoid and get a remap for now ?

I'm just going to back track mate sorry. Have you checked the MAF ? might be that at fault or a long list of a few other things :) 

Just want to check you have checked it all before replacing something you might not need :) 

As far as im aware 3 ports help hold boost better at the top end of the rev range and give the mapper better control over the boost in general .

They definitely need to be mapped in so best fitted on the day of the remap , my mapper fitted mine in 5 mins (didn't even charge me for fitting or the vac hose he supplied)

They don't seem to fail (very often) is it definitely boost creep and not overboosting due to having a decat or cone filter ?

Have you checked your vac lines and "T" pieces ?

Mabye get a second hand one to see if it cures it and then buy a new 3 port before you map [emoji6]

• Like 1

Oh I read that there a weak link on the new age models , it could be over boosting Not under boosting I wouldn't know don't have a boost gauge yet lol lol,No car is totally standard ,just a panel filter I have checked all the hoses to from turbo to boost solenoid ,t piece etc I have the pill on the right side no leaks

It does not do it all the time mainly it's between 4 and 5ooo rpm I can fill the boost pulsating strange and it's mainly only in 3rd gear

I have no cel lights and I connected my code reader on a live session and the maf is reading fine O2 sensor etc

I read that it's unlikely to be the actuator spring as tere pretty solid , it leads me to believe that my waste gate is being opened below full boost , boost solenoid ?? I can't be loosing to much boost though as I done a test with a my mates cleo 197 let him in front and have a drag he couldn't pull away lol , I have also checked the recirculating valve seems fine ,

I'm fitting a good boost gauge in a few weeks so I'll know for sure ,could just be a flat spot that I have noticed as I have had the car a couple of months now ,needs a good remap after 100000 miles lol

Well I'm gonna get cheap 2 port off eBay to check and I'll get a 3 port and wait till I get the rest of my bits for the big 300blueshark map lol cheers guys

• Like 1

Mafs don't always throw a code up i'd say 90% of the time it doesn't maybe more. But if you unplug it and it stalls out I'd say it's pretty good still. But most of the time with Mafs it's at slow speeds it struggles or even stalls. 

Is the car modded? Decat for example. Making an assumption but the on off boost is possibly it over boosting and pulling the boost down and then back up etc. if it's Decat then then this is often the case. 3port won't help but you can lower the boost by altering the pill in the boost pipe size

No it's totally standard apart from a panel filter , it was fine till a couple of weeks ago ,but from how it used to drive it fill,s as though it's under boosting,but I won't know for sure until I get my boost gauge installed ,but I was naughty and I disconnected the vac hose from the turbo and ran the car carefully and it boosted hard ,so no boost leaks and the I connected it back up but disconnected the boost solenoid so I was running actuator pressure so I knew what a gx drives like lol ,fills like the solenoid is intermittently working , but like you said it could of been over boosting to begin with lol I'll soon know ..

I suggested getting a 3port because if my solenoid is faulty , I don't wanna buy a 2 port then get a 3 port for my remap if you know what I mean plus I can't seem to get hold of a new 2 port and don't wanna buy 2nd hand as that could be faulty to lol plus tere is loads of direct plugin 3ports available and I have read a 3port is much better for mapping etc as I'm going to upgrade the turbo to a vf34 or 35 with sti pinks and exhaust,,I was just wondering could I run the swrd 3 port until I get a remap or not really or should I just get the 3port but just run a manual boost controller and sett it to factory boost levels until my remap lol lol

But any advice from one of the best in the business will be great fully accepted loll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guys big problem just fitted my prosport boost gauge and I have overboost up to the highest was 1.2 bar and it pulsates between 0.7 and 1 bar , I know I have a decat but I think this is the problem carried on from above , should I just run actuator pressure until I get a remap the spring rate is 0,5 bar rite???

Actuated pressure is 0.5 bar [emoji6]

and you're probably right about the overboosting being caused by the decat reducing the back pressure .

A remap would hold the boost in check ideally , rather than changing pill sizes, as you'll probably have to put it back to standard once mapped .

But if you do want to change restrictor sizes mig wire welding tips do the job [emoji6]