London Grand Prix ?

Gambit

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it would be a success or terrible.

• Yes be a great race to watch
    • Hell no F1 is boring anyway

F1-London-Main.jpg

Move over Monaco – 200mph Formula One cars could soon be roaring around a street circuit in Britain.

David Cameron has waved the starting flag to rush through new laws so towns and cities can stage major motor races. The move could result in F1 stars speeding through London as early as next year.

Until now motor races such as the Birmingham Superprix, which ran from 1986 to 1990, have required Parliament’s permission.

But the PM announced on a visit to the Williams F1 centre in Oxfordshire that councils will get new powers to stage events on public roads or at special venues such as the Olympic Park.

Team McLaren have already designed a four-mile circuit taking in some of London’s top landmarks.

Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button and Sebastian Vettel could start on the Mall and race past Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace. The route involves fewer road closures than the London marathon.

Tonight F1 stars raced to back the idea. Ex-champion Hamilton said: “It could be the biggest event ever. It would be sensational.”

Jenson Button added: “We did a Formula 1 street demonstration on Regent Street a few years ago and a quarter of a million watched.”

F1 legend Sir Stirling Moss, said: “I’d love to see it but they have been talking about it since the 60s.”

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said: “It’s an idea I have had for many years. It would be magnificent.”

The Deregulation Bill will be brought forward this year to allow speed limits to be lifted and roads closed. Bernie Ecclestone has even offered to waive the £35 million hosting fee.  

Ministers have been spurred by the success of the Tour de France. It could allow 20 events over the next five years generate £40 million for the economy.

Well hopefully be pushed through think it would be great to see. And as they said £40 million a year not to turn that down really. 

Only down side is I imagine it would make it mental around London, it's crazy at the best of times without that. I think congestion charge would need to be look at. Unless that what !Removed! head Dave has in mind :)